Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND  VS. LEUPOLD LR >

BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND VS. LEUPOLD LR

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND VS. LEUPOLD LR

Old 01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND VS. LEUPOLD LR

I am putting together a new varmint rifle. Rifle is going to be an Encore, with a 6.5 X 284 barrel from Fox Ridge. I am going to have David White do a little work to it once I get the barrel. I have narrowed it down to two scopes:

1. Burris Black Diamond. 6 X 24. With their Ballistic Mil-dot reticle.

2. Leupold LR 8.5 X 25 with the Varmint Hunting Reticle.

Rifle will be used from a fixed position, and basically for groundhogs. It might take an occasional doe, and even an occasional coyote. I am familiar with the Leupold, and the Signature Select Burris, but I am new to the Black Diamond. Everything I have read about it is good. The BD is about $125 less. Resale is not an issue. Anyone have any experience? Tom.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND VS. LEUPOLD LR

I am fairly hardcore against burris anything. I bought a black diamond and its optics were good but moved over 2MOA for every 1MOA. Customer service wasn't much either.

I do have over a dozen loupies however, and like them and customer service. But my new brand these days is Bushnell elites. Can't beat the for the money.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seriously considered the Bushnell Elite. I could not find a 30 mm scope from them? I could live without the 30 mm. But I really like the new reticles from Burris and Leupold. I could not find any reticle like that from Bushnell? Tom.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
bigcountry

I myself do not like the recticles. They are just a guide, and not right on. I myself prefer target knobs.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a Signature Select Burris scope, with the Ballistic Plex Reticle,on a muzzle loader. I was very impressed with how it worked. I will admit I had to shoot alot to determine the exact ranges, and that I also had to skip the last notch to get 200 meter accuracy. Alot of people would not do all the preparation and shooting that I do. And I agree with you, if you do not do your homework then they probably would not work. But I like shooting my rifles.

The Burris and Leupold both have the target turrets. I like them, but I think they are a bit unsightly. And with the new reticles they are probably unnecessary. I have a Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 with the Varmint hunting reticle that does not have the target turrets, and I like it alot, it is also an LR.

I have heard a little rumbling about the BD havinga weak tube, and that it has to be mounted properly(which I can do). I have owned 3 Burris's, and all have tracked well, with positive adjustments, not friction type. I also liked the idea of being able to lock down the reticle, once you have sighted the rifle in.

It is just hard for me to get away from Leupold for precision shooting. I have a couple of Swaro's, but with the Euro being so high, they are just out of my price limit for this project. Tom.