Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Water Proof Porro Prism Binoculars??? >

Water Proof Porro Prism Binoculars???

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Water Proof Porro Prism Binoculars???

Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Water Proof Porro Prism Binoculars???

Hi all! I have been posting and reading about High Quality binocs for an upcoming elk hunt. I have seen several posters say that Porro prism binocs are not or cannot be waterproof; only roofs can. But I notice that the east german Zeiss Jenna made some "checkpoint Charlie" 7x40's that are listed as waterproof. Similarly, Fujinon, Swarovski and all the others list some porros that are waterproof/shockproof.. What is the real deal?
thanks
okcmco
Old 08-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Default RE: Water Proof Porro Prism Binoculars???

okc there certainly IS waterproof porros on the market, you just gotta pick a quality pair from a good maker. IMHO the best porro maker on the market is Steiner. I used a 8x30 Marine pair for years with absolutely NO problems. Of course the majority of my glass are roofs, but I still have a 9x40 Bighorn Steiner that is a REALLY good pair of binocs. They are lightweight, tough as nails and because ALL of my fullsize binocs have the Crooked Creek Outfitters type of "cross behind your shoulders" strap, they are a breeze to carry. I believe the 9x40 Bighorn is available for around $250, certainly a reasonable price for a quality glass that will last forever. I use mine in the woods and I can easily see well before and after sunup/sundown. I can see things with them that I can't see with the naked eye, that's all the test I need IMHO.

I believe Nikon also makes some waterproof porros and because they are Nikon I wouldn't hesitate owning them! The main thing with sealing ANYKIND of binoc is the committment too quality and using good materials. That's why I say stick with the good builders and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the problem arises in that almost all porro prism binoculars utilize an external focusing mechanism. Because of that it is difficult to totally waterproof them. Several companies use O-rings or similar devices but they can eventually deteriorate over time. Probably the most highly regarded binos (in terms of image quality) in the world (from a birding perspective) are the Nikon Superior E and Nikon E2 binoculars. Both are listed as water-resistant if I am not mistaken. I do know that Nikon makes their Action and Action EX porros...both, I believe, are waterproof. The Wind River Mesas may also be listed as waterproof porros.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:01 PM

I have 8x56 steiner nighthunters, their porro and waterproof. Best binos I've ever used, but I like auto focus, many do not. Good luck
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

but I like auto focus
As in everything is in focus....all of the time?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:24 PM

That's right, there's no adjustment on them for focus, your eyes do the work, just like when the focus from close to far without binos. Ihunt for yotes with only the moon, andif you see a dark spot you don't have to fool with the focus, your on it. My buddy hates auto/insta focus (I don't know the correct term) because he likes to focus and one distance and scan, then move out in distance and rescan, particularly in the woods. I think he bumped his head...my opinion. Check em' out if your near a Basspro or Cabelas. Walmart probably has some autofocus bushnells (that's what I previously owned....not waterproof....junk). Very durable, most of the armed forces use Steiner, I've seen alot of pics withsoldiers using thenighthunter series rather the the issued ones. The 8x56's are a little bulky but I wanted the most light gather capability possible...they do a fine job. 30yr warranty. I love em.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info. I wonder how they work exactly. They would have to have some sort of extended depth of field or something for your eyes to be able to focus on different objects at different distances.