Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO >

The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Old 07-17-2005, 09:25 AM

Default RE: The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Red. It didn't even occur to me to test the Leica's. I have read some birders who thought they were over pricced. Plus I heard some of them were assembled in Portugal. But I see by all th4e posts that I should have. I will make the 4 hour drive again come buying time and check'em out next tot he Swaros.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

to add to the confusion unless your outside glassing mixed terrain in different light conditions and time of day you will never really know what a piece of glass can do. i dont think glassing inside the store or even outside in the parking lot will give you a a great comparison. years of trying the guides glass out(because they always have the good stuff) and looking at things like pronghorn from a mile out and game on the sides of a mountain in thick brush this is where you find out what all the hype is. believe me there is a difference. after buying several budget models i say get the best you can and try to skip the middle price models. if i added up what i already spent i would be close to getting one great pair.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 AM

I went through the same research process but I ended up buying the Nikon Premier LXL's. Theyare an awesome set of glass. I did manage to get a get a deal on them so that was also part of the decision making.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

8x Leupold Gold Ring.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swarovski EL's will be the best, even though the new Leica's are about the same. (Not thebest priced though) The only optics I'd stay away from is Steiner. I've tested them head to head with other competition. IMO they're the most overpriced binoculars on the market today. I used to sell binoculars for 2-3 years for Cabelas. When somebody came in looking to buy a Steiner, all I had to do,is give them a pair of steiners and alsoshow them any pair of the same value. The difference was as clear as day. It worked every time to shy them away from the steiners. There are too many good pairs for the money to buy over-priced bino's, in today's market.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

...and yet there still seems such a strong devotion towards Steiner optics. Why do you think this is the case?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

probably because with steiners people get caught up in the fact there german made (this means they have to be good)and they have prices that many can afford. ive only looked through a couple mid priced ones and thought they were o.k.. my favorite mid price are the nikons and the zeiss classics