Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO >

The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Default RE: The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Dear Missed another: You are probably right about the Steiners. They are good enough for the US Coast Guard. But I know that if I didn't get the Swaro's, I might always be wondering if that distant rack that is just out of focusing range might be in better focus than with the Steiners. Of course we are talking about almost a grand difference in price.
okcmco
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Dear PA bowhunter. Yeah I was midly interested in the Elites. I knew about them from some birdwatching buddies who swear by the old B & L elites (which weren't waterproof). But no Bushnell dealer I can find has a pair for comparison. I read some great reviews on them recently. Are they lifetime warrantied?
okcmco
Old 07-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Seems alot of you hunters out there are big on the Leica Products. I don't know why I didn't think of them to check out. I guess I was thinking like a hunter and went with binocs that also have rifle scopes in thier lineup. I guess I will make another trip to FT Worth and do another comaprison (like I need and excuse to go back to Mecca of hunters!). I have to admit to a certain amount of irrational compulsion to have the finest binocs in the elk camp. Silly! I am probably the best shot so I shouldn't feel inferior LOL Anyway I am hunting with a group of Doctors and I am but a lowly professional Musician. So I can't hope to outspend them. They all have custom rifles and high end peices like Sauer, Kimbers, etc. I have a DWM mauser1909 in .300 win mag that my grandfather sporterized for me. Still my grandad will be smiling down from heavan if I bag a trophy with his old gun on my first Elk Hunt.
I ramble!
okcmco
Old 07-13-2005, 02:32 PM

okcmco i guess everybody has a differant mine set. which is good. i just figure if i can't tell how big the horns are with the bino's i have i would never be able to catch up or hit the game anyways. let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I read some great reviews on them recently. Are they lifetime warrantied?
That I do not know. I have been spending some time over on www.birdforum.net. They have individual forms for the various binocular manufacturers as well as a general forum for overall binocular questions. Some great info on there.

To be honest I am surprised you didn't include Leica as well. Generally, Leica, Zeiss and Swaro are always considered the "Big 3" when it comes to high end binoculars. If I am to judge current opinion though on the birding sites the Zeiss FL is currently the most highly regarded followed by the Nikon LXL (Premier) with the Leica 8x32 and Swaro 8.5x42 EL following. Lotta folks in those forums are also crazy for the Nikon SE but since it is a porro model and not waterproof you don't hear many hunters mention them.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:11 AM

Yeah. You are right about that PABowhunter. The Birders do like the leicas and also the Older SE nikons. And Birders are about the fickiest group of glass hounds there are. It was a birder who told me that I was crazy for not considering the Swift Audubons. And I am sure that a birding binoc would suffice. But it seems hunters have a different set of needs. And I am not delicate with my gear! Plus I do not need to focus at 6"
okcmco
Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

And I am sure that a birding binoc would suffice. But it seems hunters have a different set of needs. And I am not delicate with my gear! Plus I do not need to focus at 6"
It probably would from an overall image qualityperspective but you are correct in that I believe we, as hunters, tend to expect more froma durability standpoint...hence the reason why we tend to stick with roofs as they are easier to waterproof and tend to be generally more durable overall.

Good point about the close focus distance as well though, those SE's that birders are so fond of actually have a longerclose focusing distance in comparison to modern high end roofs. I must admit though that it can get a bit boring on occassionsitting up ina treestand and you never know when something else may catch your eye. It is nice to have all bases covered.

Have fun with those Swaros, if that is what you decided on, they are excellent binos!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

i dropped a pair of 15 year old swarovski's and they split in half. i shipped them to swaro cs and they gave me a new pair. you cant beat that! period!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

i dropped a pair of 15 year old swarovski's and they split in half. i shipped them to swaro cs and they gave me a new pair. you cant beat that! period!
WOW. That is service. I guess in the world of high end optics where the competition is fierce and the products are so close in quality, it will be service that will keep a customer.
Thanks for the update
okcmco
Old 07-15-2005, 09:27 PM

THIS is one of the best tests I have read on here. I have tested all the above and would rate them EXACTLY as shown as well.

I too have to ask, "What happened too the Leica's"? As partial as I am too Swaries, the Geos are BAAAAAAAAAAD!!!
RA

Quick Reply: The Best Hunting Binoculars IMHO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.