Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

what breed?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default what breed?

I am in the middle of trying to secure a new career, I had problems with my last job and its time to start over. Once im settled in and caught back up on everything I want to get a new dog. I have a pitbull now just my family dog. great dog, great with the kids and people. But I do a lot of hunting and each season I get into something new. I want to start putting more time into duck hunting and rabbits/pheasants. I want a dog that is good for both, not just one. I know its about how you train your dog, im not new to anything about dogs, ive had them my whole life. I just wanna know what you guys think is a great breed for duck hunting and small game as well as a good family dog/companion. I have had my eyes set on a lab retriever but I wanna check some other breeds out. what do you guys think.?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

It's hard to go wrong with a lab. They're a great water dog that also do well on pheasants and other upland game.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Spike

Labrador Retriever, German Shorthaired Pointer, German Wirehaired Pointer, Brittany, English Setter, all these are good breeds for what you're wanting to do.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

ok so when the time comes in the spring I think ive made my mind up on a Lab...now the last question is yellow, black, brown?...etc etc..im sure it really doesn't matter about the color but im just asking, there might be some odd fact about a black lab and their bloodline compared to another. just curious..damn I want to get the dog NOW but I cant..i gotta make sure I got my schedule ready after I get him for trainging because I am commited 100% to making him a great hunting partner.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

Color is pure choice and only you can make that decision
Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Spike

Color doesn't make one difference in how a dog is going to turn out. Color is just a preference, go with what color you want. I don't ever go with color when picking a dog, but to each its own.