Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
Redbone Indoor or Outdoor Dog >

Redbone Indoor or Outdoor Dog

Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

Redbone Indoor or Outdoor Dog

Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Spike

Default Redbone Indoor or Outdoor Dog

Having a disagreement with the spouse over the redbone puppy being indoors or outdoors. I am pushing for indoors spouse is pushing for outdoors. Live in the midwest where it gets mighty cold in the winter. Got the pup a 1 1/2 months ago. He is the only dog we have, he has a dog house that the bottom is insulated outdoors and we have a kennel as we started him in indoors. We spend a tons more time playing and paying attention to the dog indoors and outdoors so far he hasn't had allot of time spent with him and with winter coming it will be less time.

Spouse wants to hunt coyotes and coon with the dog but thinks having him as an indoor dog will make him not want to hunt in the cold weather.

Anyone have an opinion?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
HIN
Spike

You could start training him for coon hunting (it is not so advisable for coyote hunting). It's better to start as soon as possible. Redbones are known for their ability of hunting racoons, but it will definitely be more difficult for him to become an outdoor dog, once he has been used to living indoors.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Indoors

[quote=mariedawn;4090874]Having a disagreement with the spouse over the redbone puppy being indoors or outdoors. I am pushing for indoors spouse is pushing for outdoors. Live in the midwest where it gets mighty cold in the winter. Got the pup a 1 1/2 months ago. He is the only dog we have, he has a dog house that the bottom is insulated outdoors and we have a kennel as we started him in indoors. We spend a tons more time playing and paying attention to the dog indoors and outdoors so far he hasn't had allot of time spent with him and with winter coming it will be less time.

Spouse wants to hunt coyotes and coon with the dog but thinks having him as an indoor dog will make him not want to hunt in the cold weather.
Anyone have an opinion?

The puppy is now 3-1/2 mo old. He wants to be inside with people. If he had another puppy his age outside maybe he would be ok. But not alone. He will howl constantly. DO NOT let him hunt coyote or fox. He is a coon dog.

Beautiful dogs!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Redbone that tore his ACL so he is a pet now. He lives inside and lounges around most of the day. Great family dog. At the same time when I grab his leash in middle of January he knows we are going into the mountains hiking and he loves it. The weather doesn't bother him at all.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Spike

[quote=jrfrmn;4091387]
Originally Posted by mariedawn
Having a disagreement with the spouse over the redbone puppy being indoors or outdoors. I am pushing for indoors spouse is pushing for outdoors. Live in the midwest where it gets mighty cold in the winter. Got the pup a 1 1/2 months ago. He is the only dog we have, he has a dog house that the bottom is insulated outdoors and we have a kennel as we started him in indoors. We spend a tons more time playing and paying attention to the dog indoors and outdoors so far he hasn't had allot of time spent with him and with winter coming it will be less time.

Anyone have an opinion?

The puppy is now 3-1/2 mo old. He wants to be inside with people. If he had another puppy his age outside maybe he would be ok. But not alone. He will howl constantly. DO NOT let him hunt coyote or fox. He is a coon dog.

Beautiful dogs!
Now, why would you say do not let him hunt coyote or fox?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I prefer a combination of indoors, and outdoors. As a pup, you can let him sleep in, and spend sometime alone outside. As he gets older you can have him sleep out or in as your schedule dictates. If howling is a problem use a bark collar. If you think a bark collar is too severe. You're not cut out for hounds lol.

There is no truth to the old wives tale about hunting dogs having to live outdoors full time. So, if your hound is a hunter, he'll be a hunter either way.

As for what game to use him on. You'll have to break him off of things you don't want him to track. (usually with an e-collar, or some other correction) But let him track anything that you want. Though most people don't drop a single hound on a coyote.

Good luck and enjoy that pup!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know much about redbones but I raised labs for over 35 years. I used to keep them outside in well kept kennels. But I have found over the years that a dog raised indoors is better "in tune" to what you want, listens better, trained easier and was more responsive, and has never affected their hunting ability. IMO I think it actually improved them as hunters.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=mattisjd;4093685]
Originally Posted by jrfrmn

Now, why would you say do not let him hunt coyote or fox?

Would you buy a squirrel dog and hunt ducks with it?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=jrfrmn;4094705]
Originally Posted by mattisjd

Would you buy a squirrel dog and hunt ducks with it?
I'm an advocate for using hunting dogs anyway they can be useful. (I did know of a BMC that was force fetched, and was more than adequate at retrieving ducks.) But a redbone is useful for a variety of game. Though of course they were originally used for raccoons.

ATB
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Spike

[quote=Mickey Finn;4095292]
Originally Posted by jrfrmn

I'm an advocate for using hunting dogs anyway they can be useful. (I did know of a BMC that was force fetched, and was more than adequate at retrieving ducks.) But a redbone is useful for a variety of game. Though of course they were originally used for raccoons.

ATB
That was where I was headed with that question. Redbones, and any coonhound breed for that matter, can hunt a wide range of game. I own and hunt redbones on bear, coyotes and fox here in the northeast.