Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
 Opinions Needed... one puppy or two? >

Opinions Needed... one puppy or two?

Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

Opinions Needed... one puppy or two?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Opinions Needed... one puppy or two?

My husband and I are set to pick up a little yellow Lab female the first week of March. We had "pick of the litter" due to my husband hunting with the sire's owner and the owner of the male passing his "puppy" on to us. We decided on a female because we keep hearing from upland hunters that a female "is the way to go". So... we have our name on one. There is also a male puppy that I am in love with. (We know that he is going to be a carbon-copy of the sire who is without question one of the best looking Labs I have ever seen!) I would like to take both puppies home and my hubby is hesitant. We could change our minds and take the male instead of the female so that's an option also.

So, what is your opinion? Is bringing home two puppies from the same litter too much? Is it a good thing?

My arguments for both are...
~we can dispell the theories of females being better than males out in the field because both dogs will be raised in the same environment, have the same training, breeding, etc.
~the two dogs will have a companion to play with while we are at work (I am a teacher so I will have the summers off and will be home usually by 3:30pm)
~hubby would have two dogs to work the fields... complains when there's only one
~there's plenty of love and time to be given to each dog for training

So... please weigh in... your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Oh, and to add... we will not be breeding either of the puppies as we will be spaying/neutering them. No backyard breeding from us... would rather have quality kennels breeding quality dogs.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Opinions Needed... one puppy or two?

1 pup only because then pups will play and then u can train 1 on 1 with the dogs otherwise they'll get distracted and what not. But only 1 might cause the dog to have play in it the rest of its life depending on the home that they live in.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions Needed... one puppy or two?

If you can keep them seperated 23+ hours a day and can train them one at a time, getting two is alright.
Dogs bond to dogs much more easily than to humans, so you need to keep them apart almost all the time. Maybe allow them to be together 30 minutes twice a day, but that's it.