Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
 Training a dog to get a downed deer? >

Training a dog to get a downed deer?

Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

Training a dog to get a downed deer?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Training a dog to get a downed deer?

I bought a Boykin Spaniel for duck hunting, trained her, then come to find out shes gun shy. I was wondering How to train her to track downed deer. Like their blood trails. Any tips? Ive heard just bring them out there when you track and let them sniff blood and then they get the hang of it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Training a dog to get a downed deer?

I know this is not the place to post this since this is the classifieds, but I wanted to reply. I hunt over a Boykin - hunt just about everything. What a great dog - what a nose. On our way to a goose field one afternoon, he took off andI knew he was on a scent trail so I let him go. When I found him, he was trying to pull a deer carcas out of the cattails. Deerhad obviously been hit by a car and made it a little ways off the road into the cattails. But more than anything he loves to swim and retrieve in water. Before you give up on her, I would try to build her tolerance for gun fire - there are some great posts with tips on that.