Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer? >

Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

I bought a browning LED flashlight last year and i wasnt very impressed. I ended up going back to the mag-light. What do you guys use?

Zach
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

i have always used a coleman lantern, there is also a black light out and you use a lumanecent(sp)spray, but have never tried it.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 PM

It's hard to beat a Mag-Lite for overall use..... It's bright and it lasts longer than most lights... They are bulky and not very pratical for everyday use.....

I bought a surefire LED light and I have really liked it. However, like other LED lights, the batteries don't last long. I keep a couple extra sets of batteries in my pack at all times.

I've tried laterns, but IMO they end up getting in the way, especially when the game is located and it's time to start dragging..... They can also become very heavy on a long 2-3 hr track job.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

I use a regular flashlight. mag-light, or other. what I really like to do is track with a regular flashlight, then if need to, switch to my spotlight. I made the mistake of getting caught tracking in low light with a red lens...whoops, won't do that again.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

If its a good blood trail and just a matter of collection over a matter of searching hard for blood, just a regular mag light will come out. If I'm in for a real track job, I'll grab the lantern.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry my trusty old Coleman lantern and a LED flashlight.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coleman Lantern here.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:15 AM

I hink the black light is one of the best to use.You dont have to spray anything.The blood will blo with just the light.But is really only good for dark only nothing early before the sun sets all the way.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I absolutely have to track at night I'll use my mag light along with at least one buddy with another mag light. Normally , If I'm not 100% sure on shot placement or the tracking is looking diffecult I'll back out and wait for first light , rather than pushing them further. Nothing beats sunlight for tracking!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I have used a lantern a time or two in the past, I feel the drawbacks outweigh the illmination you get. You can easily get burned with them if you're not careful, they're relatively fragile, bulky and the fuel can run out or the mantel break before you find what you're after. If you're in a very thick area by yourself, the weeds and the deer itself can block your field dressing light.

I carry a mini-maglight and I have a head lamp in my fanny pack for most of my tracking. I have a big maglight in the truck if I need it. The headlamp is really great for field dressing and makes most tracking jobs easier.

Quick Reply: Best type of lighting for tracking a downed deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.