Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog guide?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Spike

Default Hog guide?

Hi guys, I am looking to do some guided hog hunting and was looking for any recommendations. I would like to do some other things during the same trip like fishing, frog gigging, etc... Does anyone have someone they recommend? Not really picky on the location.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

So many states to choose from makes it pretty difficult to narrow down for you. Preferences are kind of needed here. By that I mean general area like, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, are where the Hogs are really prevalent at this point and time. There's some good fishing in all those states too. Haven't done any frog gigging since I was around 10 or so so that kinda makes it hard to guide you there. Anyway, there are ton's of folks in all those states that provide hog guide services.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. I really don't care what state, but Louisiana or Texas sound good to me. It doesn't have to be frog gigging, could be bow fishing, gator gar, or anything. We'd be coming from MN, so it would be nice to do some other things while we're there.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watching "The Voice" with the wife right now (commercial break) but after I will post up a couple fellas that could help you out.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I PM'ed semisane. He will respond when he gets it. He is our resident Louisiana expert I have never used a guide service in LA and have only hunted 2 or 3 ranches and Honey Island Swamp public land there so my LA knowledge is limited at best.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Spike

Thanks a lot for the help. It is something my father wants to do before he can't anymore, so I'm trying to set something up. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I PM'ed semisane. He will respond when he gets it. He is our resident Louisiana expert I have never used a guide service in LA and have only hunted 2 or 3 ranches and Honey Island Swamp public land there so my LA knowledge is limited at best.
There's just not much available in the arena of guided hog hunting here in Louisiana. It's pretty much a split between public land (Wildlife Management Area) hunting and hunting club leases (private land or timber company land). I am unaware of any clubs that offer such hunts to non-members, or or any guides that operate on WMA's. Guided hunts are just not a thing down here. Your best bet for a paid hog hunt is Texas. Lots of ranches offer hog hunts with or without guides. Rates are quite reasonable for hog only hunts. Deer/hog combination hunts are more pricey. You can get a good idea of what's available by perusing the Outfitters and Guides section of the Texas Hunting Forum. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...tters_&_Guides

There are a lot of hogs on the Honey Island WMA, just north of New Orleans. But it's not an easy hunt for someone not familiar with the area.

Now fishing is a different story. There are lots of high quality fishing charter opportunities - either for coastal marsh/lake fishing or blue water offshore. Quite a few operate out of the general New Orleans area, and many others out of various towns in S. W. Louisiana, . Take a look here: http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lp...FI&subcat=FI13

I suggest you consider two different trips, one for hog hunting and one for fishing, possibly hooking up a day or two in one state followed by a day or two in the other.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-12-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would probably be best. Honey Island is covered up with hogs but it's a pretty dangerous place with lots of water hazards to be hunting without someone who knows the layout. I know people have tried floating the Pearl but the hogs don't hang out that close to the water for one and you aint going to see them in the reeds anyway.

Like Semi said, the fishin on the other hand is hands down some of the best on Earth! Only bad thing about LA fishin is the skeeters are big enough to need FAA landing clearance!!! Go to swat some of them suckers you might get swatted back!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:31 AM
Spike

Hog hunting is a big challenge, I've failed many times. I found a few sites you can learn.
http://www.huntingnet.com/
http://huntingactivity.com/hunting-w...ou-should-know
www.hoghuntingguide.com
Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help guys. I'll start looking at Texas. We have our share of skeeters up here in MN as well. They don't scare me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.