Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Twice shot pig

Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Twice shot pig

I got this pig yesterday as everything started like normal . The pigs came out and I picked the biggest one or the one being the bully. It appears that I shot the pig in the neck but I shot her in the shoulder, as I was looking her over I noticed 2 other bullet holes as she had been shot before. The shots were in the neck and even in the ear. She appeared healthy when she was chasing the others away but it turned out she was skin and bone . I know they are tough but wow this beats all I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails Twice shot pig-image.jpg  

Last edited by BRUSE; 02-07-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Here's the other pic I couldn't get them both on the same post
Attached Thumbnails Twice shot pig-image.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What rifle/caliber are you using? Glad you got it done.

Around here they use big game calibers on Boar. Way to often a person shoots one, it flops, gets back up again and takes off, never to be seen again.

I've only had it happen to me once, I shot straight on just above the eyes and the bullet traveled the entire length of the hog and exited. I found it three days later ravaged by scavengers.

They are also often hard to track, their hide is thick and seals quick, the blood stops.

The favored cartridge here is the 9.3X64, 225 grain at a round 3000 FPS (been around for most of a century for a reason). The 8X57 Mauser, 180 grain at a round 2700 FPS, being the second choice. The logic being, the bigger the hole the less likely the wound will stop bleeding and make a poor or unlucky shot easier to track.

I've been lucky so far, few of my Boar have run more than 30-40 yards after being shot. I've learned to pick my shots carefully.

Using a bullet that expands fast can also be a plus. It may mess up some meat, but the object is to leave a large wound channel, just in case.

We usually don't shoot the biggest Sow, reason being she is often what holds the sounder together. She dies and they get unpredictable and sometimes the sounder scatters. The lead Sow is the one that defines the territory, the leader and the one that sets the routine for the whole sounder. The sounder scatters and you may never see those hogs again in the same area.

Double Naught Spy seems to do well with his Grendel, Wouldn't be my first choice, but it seems to get the job done.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a side note, injured or wounded Hogs are by far the most likely to attack a human.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

I've been switching back and forth between my 280 rem 35 Whelen, and 257 weatherby mag. I got this one with the 257. I haven't had to track them more than 20 yards if at all. I was just struck she had 2 other shots in her. You are right shot placement is key!

Last edited by BRUSE; 02-07-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

They can sure enough be tough critters. They run through thickets at 25 MPH that would shred the clothes off my body at half that speed.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Cool hog!

I have only shot one hog that I could tell had been shot previously. The entry wound was totally healed and the exit wound was weepy, but mostly healed. The shot entered behind the right ear and exited behind the left.