Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Anyone else doing any snake hunting? >

Anyone else doing any snake hunting?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Anyone else doing any snake hunting?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default Anyone else doing any snake hunting?

Anyone else doing any snake hunting?-12631547_512009392303454_1616426560056164840_n.jpg
Anybody else doing any rattlesnake hunting? We catch them for the rattlesnake derby every year.
Check out the video I put together of my dad and brother.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always root for the snakes to win. Catching snakes and having bagging contests is just plain crazy and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets bitten. I will shoot every rattlesnake that is a threat to my setter but I do not play with them, if they leave me alone, I leave them alone. We have those crazy contests in PA but I suspect they will not last much longer.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Spike

We take ours to the Mangum Rattlesnake Derby where they extract the venom to make antivenin. I don't look at it as a contest as much as I look at it to help others.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Good video...alot of snakes in your neck of the woods for sure.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rattlesnake roundups have their place. As long as the people who do the milking are really knowledgeable.

In California they get a lot of hybrid rattlers. Some have nerve venom and some have blood venom. some have both. They are constantly tweaking the anti venom to get the best results.

Back in the old days when anti venom wasn't nearly as well understood as it is today, I'd collect rattlers for the UCLA medical center biology department. They wanted the venom and to define the ranges of different types of Rattlers. They actually paid pretty good, Back when Coke was a nickle, $15 was a pretty good piece of change.

But like others have said, not a high percentage endeavor. Sooner or later you are going to get bitten.

I was bitten once and found out the hard way I was allergic to horse serum. The cure was almost worse than the bite.

Now on days I kill them if they are on a foot or horse path, otherwise I leave them alone.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Always wanted to go the roundup in Mangum. I'll get there or the one in Waynoka one of these days.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Always wanted to go the roundup in Mangum. I'll get there or the one in Waynoka one of these days.
You can visit http://www.mangumrattlesnakederby.com/ for more info on the Mangum Rattlesnake Derby. Lots of cool booths and food.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see no issue with it, sounds like it has a past in population control as well as gathering specimens and samples for many different reasons. I know some states have seasons and limits but we just take what we want, haven't found any good ones but have wanted to take one home for a BBQ.