Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Which gun to use

Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default Which gun to use

Well I'm finally going on a hog hunt and originally planned to use the AR15 but a couple of the places suggested a .243 or larger. I have one of those as well as a 30-06 but I like the AR. I don't plan on harvesting a huge boar but would rather keep it under 150 lbs cause I'm going after the meat. If I do use the AR I'm looking for suggestions on bullets to load up as I figure my normal 52 gr. A-Max's may be a little light. I was thinking something around a 65 gr.

What say ye?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

So, if you see a 350 pound boar you're gonna hold yer fire? Go ahead and use whatever you want.

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 01-13-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe it is prudent and wise to carry something that will work for the biggest thing you are likely to run into. So, for me, I would take the 06. Like the man above noted, what if you run into a really big boar. Do you hold your fire or do you try to take him? If you're like most hunters you'll try to take him. The AR is a great coyote gun but in .22 caliber it isn't a great big game gun.

Back in my native CO I once ran into a guy from out of state that was on a deer and elk hunt. He had tags for both and all he was carrying was a .243 Win. To me that made no sense since there is a lot of difference between a deer and an elk. He was carrying a light deer rifle when he was in an area that held elk which weigh over 600 lbs. In my book that was foolish. But, to each their own.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You run across a pig that wants a piece of you, and you'll wish that you had something larger. Take the 06 and be happy.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

There are as many opinions about caliber and bullets as there are calibers and bullet types. Actually, I suspect that if there are N options, there are probably at least N+1 opinions.

Lots of folks hunt hogs with small (<.25 caliber) weapons. Usually they add a statement to the effect that "It's all about shot placement" and that's certainly true. My problem is that I'm not the world's best shot, and the hogs don't seem to make much of an effort to make it easy for me. They keep moving and shuffling around when they're feeding, or they're quartering away, or some other such nonsense that prevents me from making a nice head shot right behind the ear every time.

I hate that, but what can I do? My answer is to carry a .30 caliber rifle. I don't use premium bullets, just regular old soft points, but when I hit them with a large bullet it usually leaves a mark! I bought an AR-15 a few years ago. I liked carrying it. It was lightweight and accurate and I shot a hog with it. It wasn't a large hog, maybe 65 Lbs. It was moving around about 95-100 yards away and I had to just shoot for center mass. I hit center mass, and then the hog took off across a pasture. I shot it again and it went down. When I got to it I had to shoot it again to finally kill it. I sold the AR-15 to my brother and bought an AR-10. It's noticeably heavier to carry, but it throws a heavier (3X) weight bullet. It's my primary hog gun now.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Spike

Well it looks like the -06 wins. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Excellent choice! Hope you get a couple of meat hogs and a nice one like my Buddy got a while ago to mount as well.
X-Bolt in .308.
Attached Thumbnails Which gun to use-boar14.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Allen48
Well it looks like the -06 wins. Thanks for the input guys.
Prudent choice , good luck!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Its all about shot placement. On the hunt I was one the only guy to drop a hog with one shot was using a Min-14 in .223 cal. Me.... I had an .308 win.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Spike

A person run across any this hallo ween that will would like a piece of a person, and you should want you had some thing more substantial. Acquire the particular 06 and become satisfied.