Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Hunting-SP, HP,FMJ ?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default Hog Hunting-SP, HP,FMJ ?

I'll be hog hunting for the 1st time in a couple of weeks on my sister's ranch in Texas. I'm thinking of using my Yugo SKS or my Mosin-Nagant. My question is-what kind of bullets should I use ? Since penetration seems to be the big thing, I'm guessing some US made FMJ is the way to go. So before you tell me to start with a new rifle, what kind of projectile would you suggest ? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

we use anywhere from 45g to 180+g anythings.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's a pig, not an elephant.. Like half baked said, use what you have. Don't make a speical trip to the gun store to buy more bullets.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

This is a topic that might bring some different opinions into play. I recommend soft points. Hogs aren't armor plated. Either of the rifles you mention will do fine with SP ammo, and the odds of killing them quickly increase with the use of soft points.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a head shot it won't matter what your shooting even if you are shooting an ice bullet if you put it in the thinker.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's a pig, not an elephant.. Like half baked said, use what you have. Don't make a speical trip to the gun store to buy more bullets.
What The Rev said. Bullet placement trumps everything else. i often hunt hogs on US government property where we are limited to rimfire rifles in small game season. My .22 magnum with fmj ammo has accounted for many hogs there.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default For a minute

I thought these hogs were wearing top military protective vests.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
I thought these hogs were wearing top military protective vests.
I wear a vest daily and you can't protect the head that much to keep a well placed round out of it.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
With a head shot it won't matter what your shooting even if you are shooting an ice bullet if you put it in the thinker.
Yep, true.

However, if you miss, even by a little bit, you have a hog that will very likely run off and die someplace else.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by der Teufel
Yep, true.

However, if you miss, even by a little bit, you have a hog that will very likely run off and die someplace else.
Very true fact. Just use a bigger bullet and that makes for a smaller miss!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.