HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hog Hunting-SP, HP,FMJ ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/358569-hog-hunting-sp-hp-fmj.html)

Rev. Dr. DK 02-14-2012 10:23 AM

Hog Hunting-SP, HP,FMJ ?

I'll be hog hunting for the 1st time in a couple of weeks on my sister's ranch in Texas. I'm thinking of using my Yugo SKS or my Mosin-Nagant. My question is-what kind of bullets should I use ? Since penetration seems to be the big thing, I'm guessing some US made FMJ is the way to go. So before you tell me to start with a new rifle, what kind of projectile would you suggest ? Thanks.

halfbakedi420 02-14-2012 10:47 AM

we use anywhere from 45g to 180+g anythings.

The Rev 02-14-2012 11:07 AM

It's a pig, not an elephant.. Like half baked said, use what you have. Don't make a speical trip to the gun store to buy more bullets.

der Teufel 02-17-2012 07:05 PM

This is a topic that might bring some different opinions into play. I recommend soft points. Hogs aren't armor plated. Either of the rifles you mention will do fine with SP ammo, and the odds of killing them quickly increase with the use of soft points.

SecondChance 02-18-2012 03:13 PM

With a head shot it won't matter what your shooting even if you are shooting an ice bullet if you put it in the thinker. :fighting0007:

falcon 02-19-2012 05:08 AM

It's a pig, not an elephant.. Like half baked said, use what you have. Don't make a speical trip to the gun store to buy more bullets.
What The Rev said. Bullet placement trumps everything else. i often hunt hogs on US government property where we are limited to rimfire rifles in small game season. My .22 magnum with fmj ammo has accounted for many hogs there.

Valentine 02-22-2012 03:36 PM

For a minute

I thought these hogs were wearing top military protective vests.

SecondChance 02-25-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 3914499)
I thought these hogs were wearing top military protective vests.

I wear a vest daily and you can't protect the head that much to keep a well placed round out of it.

der Teufel 02-26-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 3913053)
With a head shot it won't matter what your shooting even if you are shooting an ice bullet if you put it in the thinker. :fighting0007:

Yep, true.

However, if you miss, even by a little bit, you have a hog that will very likely run off and die someplace else.

SecondChance 02-28-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by der Teufel (Post 3915660)
Yep, true.

However, if you miss, even by a little bit, you have a hog that will very likely run off and die someplace else.

Very true fact. Just use a bigger bullet and that makes for a smaller miss!!!!!!!:cool2: