Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Baiting Hog Help (Oahu HI) >

Baiting Hog Help (Oahu HI)

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Baiting Hog Help (Oahu HI)

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Spike

Exclamation Baiting Hog Help (Oahu HI)

I was told no matter where you put food the hogs will find it. With that in mind I have out corn and other foods wild hogs eat here on Oahu. The idea is to get them to eat and get used to food being there so I can set up a tree stand and take one. The place i out the food is off the trail. Hoping I can get them to come to this new place I was wondering how long should I expect them to come and get the food. The corn I left is starting to sprout!!! Is this ok or should I give up on this spot and move my baiting station????
Also I was told they hide in the fern, so with that in mind I set the food next to a huge fern patch.
Can anybody give me some help? THX
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on all the TV shows coming out like "Hog Bomb" and "Hogs Gone Wild" all you have to do in HI is walk around with apples in your pockets. If they are a little spooky you just hold the apple out and make kissy sounds.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

It's probably time to move the bait. You might want to try more than one location at a time if you can. Even though Texas is overrun with feral hogs, there are times when I put out corn and don't see any hogs on my game camera for months. They tend to roam and change their territory seemingly at a whim, although they're most likely responding to changing food conditions and hunting pressure.

It can be tough to predict exactly when and where they'll show up on any given day, at least around here.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I Northeast Texas corn soaked in diesel for 2 or 3 day is a slam dunk. The diesel will prevent most other animals from eating the corn. I take a post hole digger and dig down about 2 feet and then fill in the hole alternating the corn and the dirt until the hole is full. Then the rooting starts If you don't want rooting take 4 or 6 inch pvc pipe and drill 3/4" holes all over the pipe then seal one end and attach a small length of chain with a ring on the end so you can stake it down to keep the pipe in the same area. Then I put a sewer clean out fitting on the other end so you can screw out the cap and the put the diesel soaked corn in and replace the cap. The little porkers will roll it around and the corn will come out of the hole. I also dig out a little area about 2' x 4' x 6" deep area and pour in used motor oil. The hogs like to roll around in the oil to get the lice off. I don't know about Hi. hog but it is tried and true method in Texas. On a four wheeler trail we have 4 stands about a 100yds apart and we have shot several hog with our bows in all four locations using these methods this winter. You must have hogs in the area sign before any bait will work. Jim

Last edited by Jim Williams; 03-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.