Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Doggin Knife Help!!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hog Doggin Knife Help!!

Hey,

I ve been gettin started in the "hog doggin'" business and was wonderin what is a good knife to kill a hog with?

Found a Cold Steel but cant find any reviews from hunters view jus reviews on how knife felt and how it sharpens, Anyways any suggestion would be appreciated.

Would like to spend $150 and less

Thanks, Dustin
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by okboarhunter
Hey,

I ve been gettin started in the "hog doggin'" business and was wonderin what is a good knife to kill a hog with?

Found a Cold Steel but cant find any reviews from hunters view jus reviews on how knife felt and how it sharpens, Anyways any suggestion would be appreciated.

Would like to spend $150 and less

Thanks, Dustin
Just a regular butchers Boning Knife.....
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

"ole hickory" butcher knife,
Old 03-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys...

I figured anything long and sharp would be fine, just didnt know if anyone had suggestions on a brand of knife they liked. Just recently had all guns stole so a good knife will have to do for now.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by okboarhunter
Thanks guys...

I figured anything long and sharp would be fine, just didnt know if anyone had suggestions on a brand of knife they liked. Just recently had all guns stole so a good knife will have to do for now.
I just used a Buck with a 6" blade. Worked just fine. Its in my pics of "Great time in OK!!!" on this site. I can't remember what the name of it is, just that it is made by Buck.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Spike

If i was to hunt hogs with a knife i would deffinitly use the Baconmaker by Ka-bar
Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have custom made some hog knives. I haven't made any knives this year (too busy with work), but I think the first knife I make this year will be a hog knife.

I like the blades to be at least 12 inches.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I use a sog spirit. The handel is removable and I have a telescopic paint pole I can put it on. If the hog is big I may want the extra distance.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a nice cheap "overground" Dexter butchers knife. Most resturants use a sharpening service and when the knives get ground down/sharpened too many times the sharpening company pretty much gives them away.

I use them for butchering as well as for my bait knives. Can't say I've manned up enought to use them on a hog but WHEN the pigs reach Taxachusetts I'm gonna.

Lots of steel left on them but the blade ends up being pretty narrow. I would say $10.00 bucks at the most would get you a fine pig killing knife and you will probably buy more cause they have a ton of uses and you can get boning,buthcher,and french knives.