Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
where would you put or aim ?? >

where would you put or aim ??

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

where would you put or aim ??

Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

anyone else have any insight as far as hunting at night from a climber and using lights with a scoped gun? going to be about 20-40 yards away up 20-25 feet. with this hot weather we are getting up north the only picture I have of him is 6 in the morning the last week. I should have hunted him more when he came in every night
Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by excalibur43
LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen.
Dunno. I agree 400 yards is a long way. OTOH, I shot a ~75 Lb hog through the heart (two holes in the heart, in and out) with a .30 Cal and it ran roughly 250 yards before it dropped. It left a blood trail that a six-year-old could have followed. I was astounded.

I read once that even if one shoots a human through the heart, the brain still has about 15 seconds before it gives up from lack of oxygen. I suspect hogs may be about the same.

If a hog can run 30mph, that would take it 220 yards in 15 seconds. If it can run a little faster, or go a little more than 15 seconds, it obviously goes further. At 35mph and 20 seconds it would go almost 350 yards. I don't know exactly how fast hogs run, nor how long any individual hog can last with a heart (or double lung) shot, but we're getting closer to 400 yards. Now, if we add in a little 'puffing' (that's marketing/sales talk for exaggerating) I could perhaps see a 400 yards claim.

DANG! I wish it weren't so hot down here in central TX. I'd much rather be out hunting than doing time/speed/distance calculations on hogs.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by der Teufel
Dunno. I agree 400 yards is a long way. OTOH, I shot a ~75 Lb hog through the heart (two holes in the heart, in and out) with a .30 Cal and it ran roughly 250 yards before it dropped. It left a blood trail that a six-year-old could have followed. I was astounded.

I read once that even if one shoots a human through the heart, the brain still has about 15 seconds before it gives up from lack of oxygen. I suspect hogs may be about the same.

If a hog can run 30mph, that would take it 220 yards in 15 seconds. If it can run a little faster, or go a little more than 15 seconds, it obviously goes further. At 35mph and 20 seconds it would go almost 350 yards. I don't know exactly how fast hogs run, nor how long any individual hog can last with a heart (or double lung) shot, but we're getting closer to 400 yards. Now, if we add in a little 'puffing' (that's marketing/sales talk for exaggerating) I could perhaps see a 400 yards claim.

DANG! I wish it weren't so hot down here in central TX. I'd much rather be out hunting than doing time/speed/distance calculations on hogs.

A cheetah can run 70 MPH, so how far would he make it with no lungs? All I can do is LMAO! Watch this video of a hog double lunged by an archer, and estimate how far it made it after the shot.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRDnMNueEFc...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRDnMNueEFc...en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by excalibur43; 07-16-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno about how far a hog can or cannot go with or without heart or lungs destroyed. That being said, I can go with what I do know. having grown up in So. Texas (Bracketville area), I have shot well over 500 hogs with everything from 22LR to my .338 Lapua, 50 & 54 cal ML, bow and pistol. I have seen hogs even headshot that did not drop for some time due to miscalculations in drop and placement. I have personally shot a hog with a with a .308 using a 165 grn Nosler Bal. Tip at 2200fps out of my Lone Eagle pistol at 37 yds and travel over 150yds with both lungs and heart blown out!!!!

I also know for a fact of being a Sniper for several LE agencies for now over 18 yrs, that an individual cannot sustain life for more than several seconds and continue with a placed shot into the heart from any high powered weapon due to the kinetic energy displaced into the chest area and central nervous system. The only way to immediately cease all forward movements are to place a round into the "T" ( Between the eyes, and down to base of the nose) and it is over immediately. We have gone from .308 Winch. with 168 grn BTHP to now the .338 Lapua with 225 grn BTHP and they are incrediable!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Buckclub,
Being a 300WSM hunter myself, I have 2 questions for you.
What range do you think you can take him at, and what type bullet are you using?
I have a Savage 16 that really likes the 168 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Tips pushed by 60.1 grains of H380 in Remington brass with CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers.
I get 3050FPS at the muzzle, and they theoretically carry the energy out to 450 yards adequately to take an Elk.
Inside 200, they rewrite the book on devastation.
Inside 150, I have yet to have anything NOT be DRT.
That being said, the other factors being how comfortable are you with a headshot at a given range, and what your comfort level with your rifle is.
The headshot would give more meat, but a double lung shot would also make the critter dead.
Whatever works best for you, at that exact moment in time, when the shot presents itself.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

I'd say right about there!where would you put or aim ??-thumbnail.jpg
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also know for a fact of being a Sniper for several LE agencies for now over 18 yrs, that an individual cannot sustain life for more than several seconds and continue with a placed shot into the heart from any high powered weapon due to the kinetic energy displaced into the chest area and central nervous system

I have personally shot a hog with a with a .308 using a 165 grn Nosler Bal. Tip at 2200fps out of my Lone Eagle pistol at 37 yds and travel over 150yds with both lungs and heart blown out!!!!

Which story are you stickin too? LOL
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by excalibur43
I also know for a fact of being a Sniper for several LE agencies for now over 18 yrs, that an individual cannot sustain life for more than several seconds and continue with a placed shot into the heart from any high powered weapon due to the kinetic energy displaced into the chest area and central nervous system

I have personally shot a hog with a with a .308 using a 165 grn Nosler Bal. Tip at 2200fps out of my Lone Eagle pistol at 37 yds and travel over 150yds with both lungs and heart blown out!!!!

Which story are you stickin too? LOL
I was speaking of the individual that said a person can continue for up to 15 seconds with a heart shot. I don't see it happening from first hand experience.

I know that hog I shot with the 308 pistol covered that distance in under 5 seconds and was running dead from the start for I watched it from hit to drop. They have 10 times more endurance than any human to continue on after being injured.

I'm just saying that if you are going to shoot it, use enough gun and be done with it. I am not trying to start a pizzing match with no one from either stance. I am just stating what I know from my own personal experiences. If I offended you, that was not the intent.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Spike

Smile Shot placement

FWIW, I asked my brother and nephew almost the exact same question, 'If you were able to align the perfect shot, what would you want? Where would you place the shot?"

They mentioned the neck and behind the ear. My nephew answered to take the shot behind the shoulder blade, about 1/2 up the chest.

I remembered that when I took the shot on my first, and only hog since I am new to this. Using a .30-30 with 150 grain Kore-lokt Winchester ammo, The wound channel went through both lungs, shredded the top-rear part of the heart and lodged against the left shoulder blade.

He took off but dropped maybe 30yds or so away.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by o2cool; 10-17-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Incorrect info
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I just shot one tonight with a .270 Federal, behind the ear right on the neck and dropped on the spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.