Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
where would you put or aim ?? >

where would you put or aim ??

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

where would you put or aim ??

Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry bud, my pig anatomy knowledge and youre wording were having a conflict.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

the shoulders and the front chest plate are strong on big hogs, and you'd be surprised how many big hogs i see take a shoulder shot, and when we finally find em, they are still alive and runnin 35mph away from us.
Bingo!

i have seen 175 pound hogs absorb 150 grain .30 caliber bullets that hit the shoulders and never even slow down. i've killed hogs that had wounds to the shoulder where bullets had come apart.

Double lunged hogs do not always fall dead where they stand. I have seen hogs hit in both lungs go 400 yards. Hogs are not predictable. Sometimes a gutshot hog will just fall over and die, usually they do not.

IME: The .50 muzzleloader seems to kill hogs much better than most .30 caliber rifles. One of my favorite muzzleloader bullets is the 240 grain .430 XTP. When a hog is hit low behind the shoulder that bullet sheds petals and lead. It shreds the heart, lungs and diaphragm. I now hunt mostly with the .50 350 grain FPB bullet. Hog fat is not going to plug up the two holes made by that bullet.

Good luck with your hog hunting.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hogs do have a tenacity for life that isnt rivaled by any other animal Ive hunted except the coyote. Therefore I advocate shooting hogs in the head/ neck or spine as they cant go far if you properly execute the shot.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My BIL is the manager of the sporting goods department for Walmart in some one road town in southern Alabama. He says that he has trouble keeping the Marlin 917V rifle in stock. He says all the locals swear by the tiny .17 HMR. I believe that they're mostly running them with dogs at night. That tiny 17 grain pill makes it through the ear, then explodes like a small grenade in the pig's head. Mario's been posting pics of head shot pigs for years that he's killed with his hornet.
Since you don't have much light make sure that you use a good scope. Just look at Marios(zrexpilot), he uses a good quality Mueller scope. Also make sure that you practice at 30 yards. There's not much room for error and most people will sight in a 300 magnum like yours to be high at 100 yards. At 30 yards it'll be close enough for a chest shot, but you need to know exactly where the bullet's going if you try a head shot.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Bingo!

i have seen 175 pound hogs absorb 150 grain .30 caliber bullets that hit the shoulders and never even slow down. i've killed hogs that had wounds to the shoulder where bullets had come apart.

Double lunged hogs do not always fall dead where they stand. I have seen hogs hit in both lungs go 400 yards. Hogs are not predictable. Sometimes a gutshot hog will just fall over and die, usually they do not.

IME: The .50 muzzleloader seems to kill hogs much better than most .30 caliber rifles. One of my favorite muzzleloader bullets is the 240 grain .430 XTP. When a hog is hit low behind the shoulder that bullet sheds petals and lead. It shreds the heart, lungs and diaphragm. I now hunt mostly with the .50 350 grain FPB bullet. Hog fat is not going to plug up the two holes made by that bullet.

Good luck with your hog hunting.

LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen. It wont happen. One lung shot and the other still working, I could see and have seen.I agree that with a double lung shot, they may not drop in their tracks, but they wont make it very far. I have shot a few hogs myself, the latest with a 270 at a range of 78 yards. Double lung shot, he made it about 30 feet and dropped dead.Head shots or behind the ear shots are also very lethal and if well placed, will drop a hog in it's tracks. The problem with using a small caliber for this, is if the hog happens to move and bullet doesn't hit it's mark then he probably isn't going to die.I also am not suggesting that you shoot him in the lungs with a 22 either.It doesn't have what it takes to get through both lungs.Any caliber with enough velocity and kinetic energy to make it through the chest cavity of a hog will be lethal for a lung shot and any well placed shot at the base of the neck, behind the ear etc. will be lethal medicine for any hog as well.

Last edited by excalibur43; 07-04-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen.
Go out and kill 750-1,000 hogs and then tell me that crap.

Last edited by falcon; 07-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I personally dont lung shoot hogs but Ive seen one lungers never stop and two lungers go 50 to 100 yards. Never personally seen one go 400 but not ruling it out either.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Go out and kill 750-1,000 hogs and then tell me that crap.

LOL. It's not some bionic animal, it's just a pig. It's anatomy works like any other mammals. No oxygen to the body, no oxygen to the brain. The body ceases to live, period.Death happens in seconds.If you shoot ANY ANIMAL, and it can still make it 400 yards, the problem isn't a tougher than average animal, it's a poorer than average shooter.

Last edited by excalibur43; 07-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

ok, update, I went out and he came in but the wind changed and he left. I didn't get a chance to shine the light on him as he wasn't in the food stopping zone yet. I smacked a chuck at 280 yards dead on with the short mag, I had better put it at a target on 30 and see where it hits, but I figure that it (variation) can't be less than the distance between the scope and the barrel. What about lights? The headlamp was less than desirable. Anyone do a mag light or that effect taped to the barrel. Not getting to much money spent on this hobby as there is not a ton around. I plan on an ear shot or slightly behind, but I will be above him. Its going to happen quick I think (light flash- boom or wait until a better shot then boom). He has been seeing my camera flash and it doesn't seem to phase him
Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine uses a green light and has stationed it over his bait pile. He digs a hole and puts the bait in so the hogs will have to stay there and work to get it. It gives him more time to get a shot. He said the green light works great. It kind of lights up the area a little brighter than moonlight, but hasn't spooked any hogs yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.