HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - where would you put or aim ??
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 AM
excalibur43
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Bingo!

i have seen 175 pound hogs absorb 150 grain .30 caliber bullets that hit the shoulders and never even slow down. i've killed hogs that had wounds to the shoulder where bullets had come apart.

Double lunged hogs do not always fall dead where they stand. I have seen hogs hit in both lungs go 400 yards. Hogs are not predictable. Sometimes a gutshot hog will just fall over and die, usually they do not.

IME: The .50 muzzleloader seems to kill hogs much better than most .30 caliber rifles. One of my favorite muzzleloader bullets is the 240 grain .430 XTP. When a hog is hit low behind the shoulder that bullet sheds petals and lead. It shreds the heart, lungs and diaphragm. I now hunt mostly with the .50 350 grain FPB bullet. Hog fat is not going to plug up the two holes made by that bullet.

Good luck with your hog hunting.

LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen. It wont happen. One lung shot and the other still working, I could see and have seen.I agree that with a double lung shot, they may not drop in their tracks, but they wont make it very far. I have shot a few hogs myself, the latest with a 270 at a range of 78 yards. Double lung shot, he made it about 30 feet and dropped dead.Head shots or behind the ear shots are also very lethal and if well placed, will drop a hog in it's tracks. The problem with using a small caliber for this, is if the hog happens to move and bullet doesn't hit it's mark then he probably isn't going to die.I also am not suggesting that you shoot him in the lungs with a 22 either.It doesn't have what it takes to get through both lungs.Any caliber with enough velocity and kinetic energy to make it through the chest cavity of a hog will be lethal for a lung shot and any well placed shot at the base of the neck, behind the ear etc. will be lethal medicine for any hog as well.

Last edited by excalibur43; 07-04-2010 at 06:17 AM.