HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What traits should 1 look for in a "catch" dog?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Rebel Hog
Dominant Buck

In 1965 my hunting buddy and I ordered 4 Catahoula pups from Arkansas and started training them with fresh hog skins.............In 1967 we started crossing them with Pit Bulls and in 1969 we introduced Rhrodesian Ridgeback to the mix....We ran that mix into the 80's and then introduced Cur into the cross..........We sold pups to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Venezuela and all over Florida and Georgia.......

Up to 2000 we had 25 trained hog dogs in the field.....We ran hog dogs and killed tons of hogs from the late 60's untill 2000 when I started having health problems and had to quit........My buddy is 80 and still running hog dogs, but is down to about 5 dogs and does not go as often as he used to......

I read on here that you have to mistreat them so they will obey......Wrong!........You have to reward them when they do what you want them to do............Sometimes you have to cull the ones that have a mind of their own and are not trainable...

Hog dogs have to be fed a balnced low fat diet, wormed on regular intervals and exercised regularly for them to perform to your expectations........I might also mention, keep them off the ground and concrete in their pens. Our pens had 2x6's on one side of the pens and 12" off the ground for them to lay and sleep on.....Their pens also have to be cleaned daily, no if's or but's.....
These things I have mentioned is what will produce good hog dogs....And years of enjoyment.....

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 04-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.