Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

I beg to differ!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Now why do you have to bring race into this? Mojo? That sounds nasty.
Hush up old guy and get back in political forum! Someone hide his walker...I hear a recipe about to be shared from Reb!!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RLoving1
Hush up old guy and get back in political forum! Someone hide his walker...I hear a recipe about to be shared from Reb!!
Most of the larger hogs I shoot will remain untouched until they decompose. The coyotes and the turkey vultures won't even touch them.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

North Texan, funny you should mention that I have seen that twice where I hunt. 2 large boars that the vultures or coyotes didn't touch.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't set up on hog kill and shoot yotes but put a bunch of deer guts out and you will get some shots...now hogs will clean up another hogs gut site! Out here in west Texas if it doesn't have cutters to take a big hog is just a target!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have killed several big boars this year. Three of them went over 300 pounds on the hoof. The meat from all of those hogs was good. In my hog hunting career i've seen just two or three hogs that were strong tasting; one was a huge boar that was very old. My hogs are washed down well inside and out with a high pressure hose before being given away or taken to the butcher shop.

Much of the "strong" hog meat is really rotten hog meat. Hog meat is not improved by hanging: A hog ain't like a deer, it will rot. i hunt hogs 12 months of the year when i'm at home. When the temperature is over 80 degrees one has about 4 hours to get the hog in a cooler or iced down or it will start to spoil. Hogs will also spoil in a cooler.

Last winter i gave a friend a huge well cared for sow. He took the animal to a fly by night butcher who kept it for two weeks before cutting it up. My friend complained that that the meat from that sow was "strong." i tasted meat from that animal and it was rotten.

Last edited by falcon; 12-03-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Now why do you have to bring race into this? Mojo? That sounds nasty.
But it tastes so good!!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I guess it depends on the environment of the boar. I shot a huge boar at an outfitter in TN. He was processed that day and put on ice. That's the best hog meat I've ever eaten. I've shot numerous large boars on free-range private land here in SC and they have all been horrible, no matter how the meat was prepared.

Probably tame also.Those high fence hunts here in Tn are not wild game guess thats why it tasted better.I go to SC to hunt even though I live a hour from the resorts here in Tn.most of those places are a insult to hunting.most of them anyway.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tought but tasty ...

The biggest boar I've shot so far ran a tad over 200 Lbs. It was on the tough side, but as far as the taste of the meat it was fine. I've been using the pressure cooker or grinding it up to handle the toughness issue. My spousal unit has used the ground meat to make spaghetti, meat loaf, and hamburgers. We've fed them to her family and mine with no complaints.

Of course, in my family NO ONE is going to complain when someone else is doing the cooking.

Heh, my momma might have raised some UGLY kids, but she didn't raise 'em stupid!