Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Gun?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hog Gun?

Hi all, newbie here and I was wondering about gun choice for hog hunting. I live in Central FL and was checking out the regs for Ocala National Forest. At one point they mention hogs as being legal year round, but with centerfire rifles prohibited. Hunting Hog with a rimfire seems a bit odd to me. What do ya'll think?
Old 10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hog Gun?

Someone here will know the correct answer to your question. I've never hunted Florida but I had the same questions about another state I hunted. I found that hogs were legal to hunt year round with pretty much whatever was legal to hunt with, EXCEPT during deer season. During the firearm deer season hog-hunters had to use what deer hunters would use and they had to be legal to hunt deer before they could take a wild hog.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting Hog with a rimfire seems a bit odd to me. What do ya'll think?

Once you get the hang of it it is easy to bang flop a hog with a .22 LR. Limit your shots to 40 yards orless and onlyshoot at a hog that presents a side view. Shoot the hog in the ear, in the eye or ona line between the ear and the eye. As long as the hog is kicking keep shooting him/her in the head:A semi-automatic is good for that. Do not use hollow point bullets, you want penetration.

The .22 magnum is a fine hog killer. I use the CCI full metal jacket bullets. That bullet will go all the way through a 100 pound hog shot low behind the shoulder. Never had a hog get away after being shotwith either a .22 LR or a .22 magnum.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Once you get the hang of it it is easy to bang flop a hog with a .22 LR. Limit your shots to 40 yards orless and onlyshoot at a hog that presents a side view. Shoot the hog in the ear, in the eye or ona line between the ear and the eye. As long as the hog is kicking keep shooting him/her in the head:A semi-automatic is good for that. Do not use hollow point bullets, you want penetration.

The .22 magnum is a fine hog killer. I use the CCI full metal jacket bullets. That bullet will go all the way through a 100 pound hog shot low behind the shoulder. Never had a hog get away after being shotwith either a .22 LR or a .22 magnum.
Best advice that could be given.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

ORIGINAL: falcon

Best advice that could be given.
Downed many a hog with my .22 magnum...
X3, very good advise.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 AM

Yes your right a 22 mag will kill a hog (on a good day) but why have to go chasing after one after you have shot it..min round .243
Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes your right a 22 mag will kill a hog (on a good day) but why have to go chasing after one after you have shot it..min round .243

Yep, iwould prefer to hunt hogs with with amore powerfulgun. Actually i have killed many dozens with a muzzleloader. Like the original poster i often hunt in an area where center fire rifles and muzzleloaders are banned.

Never chased after any hog that i shot with a .22 magnum. Chased after one that i shot with a.22 LR and got it. Pick your shots carefully and they bang flop.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Well I would never take a .22lr or magnum hog hunting by choice. He said only rimfire. If it could be any, I would use my Rem700 7mmMag with a 150gr hollow point. If you can hit'em, they WILL go down. And STRAIGHT down which is crucial for the edges of swamps I hunt. A porker goes in there hes gone for good.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hey folks he said RIMFIRE is LEGAL. CENTERFIRE is NOT. The 22 magnum is a great round for hog killing. I use the CCI 40gr hollowpoint and shoot them inbetween the eye and ear. The tracking is a lot easier that way.

DO NOT believe the hype about giant killer hogs. You do not need a bazooka to kill them. Besides that why in the heck would you shoot a big one anyway. Take one around 60 to 80 pounds and make sure it is female and you will have some great eating.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

Hey folks he said RIMFIRE is LEGAL. CENTERFIRE is NOT. The 22 magnum is a great round for hog killing. I use the CCI 40gr hollowpoint and shoot them inbetween the eye and ear. The tracking is a lot easier that way.

DO NOT believe the hype about giant killer hogs. You do not need a bazooka to kill them. Besides that why in the heck would you shoot a big one anyway. Take one around 60 to 80 pounds and make sure it is female and you will have some great eating.
You are correct Snook!Minimum in FL is .243.................You are also correct on Hog weight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.