Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Free Hunting In Florida:  How to Get It. >

Free Hunting In Florida: How to Get It.

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Free Hunting In Florida: How to Get It.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Free Hunting In Florida: How to Get It.

Free Hunting in Florida: How to get it.

Man I got tired real quick of trying to hunt WMA’s in Florida. Even though some of my friends said I was as lucky as they come to finding game. I could produce hogs fairly easy and usually see plenty of deer. I wanted a place where I did not count 27 hunters facing ONE field no larger then a football field. I mean if some poor dumb hog walked his butt out there I was more worried of flying lead than I would be of any motion or scent. Our WMA’s are hammered over the hunting season and there is now way in hell I would go into one for deer gun opening day(hint: some WMA’s are small game only). So here is something I have done that really worked.

Did I mention FREE? I LIED. Nothing in this world is free. You pay for everything in some form or another and this is no different. It is getting to be harder and harder to get permission from landowners for several reasons.

Waiting to late to ask. The week before season is not the time to knock on doors. I like to start doing this In JANUARY. The cows have been worked, no planting yet to be done, and the farmers are getting ready to rev up and fix stuff.
HELP FIX STUFF. Let the landowner know that you are very willing to come out and help work. Be it mend fences, plant rye grass, or throw hay bales in the back of the truck. The owners really do want to see you CARE about them.
If you hit it off with the owner look around the land and house. DON’T look like you are snooping but take note of truck bumper stickers, tools, etc. If they invite you in (and they do) be prepared to “sit a spell” and have some iced tea. This is the PERFECT time to look at the mantle and see what is there. I have one guy that had a picture of him and his sons holding grouper. I spoke with him and brought up his sons and that it is nice to have family around. He sighs and tells me they live in New York and Virginia but come down every year Thanksgiving and Christmas. Can you guess who I take fishing during turkey week. Yep you guessed it. And here is the biggest secret of all….sshhh…. dont tell anyone but find out what the wife likes. His wife likes to play Bridge, Scrabble, and poker. I bought her some of those little handheld electronic games for 9 bucks each. He complains that dinner is not ready sometimes but she smiles ( I am in there baby).
Farms and especially STRAWBERRY and WATERMELON plantaitions have some serious hog issues. They are a LOT easier to approach than the mom and pops but they are limited to time frame to hunt. I have found that they are VERY hard to get in front of unless you do some ground work first.[/ol]
A: Mail them a letter telling them about yourself and the fact that you KILL hogs.
B: Give them the TIME that you will be calling to follow up on your letter to establish a TIME to MEET. DO NOT ask to hunt during the phone call.
C: Impress upon them that you are dedicated to taking care of their pigs and then DO IT. DON’T just show up once a month and sit in a stand and not produce. Make sure the places you ask are close to home so it does not cost an arm and a leg to drive out there (even on a Wednesday evening) to whack a hog.
D: If you are bowhunter great. But this is about killing giant 200 pound rats. That is all they are viewed as so make sure you are being as effective as you can be. If that means grabbing a 30-06 then do it. You will get your bow time soon trust me.
E: If you get a few pigs GIVE some to the WORKERS (pickers). Buddy you just became their hero and they will help you like none other. Nothing makes their day like a pig roast on Sunday. It is one less hog you have to carve up.
F: Remove your dead animals. Enuff said there (see letter E).
G: Be courteous and professional. No drinking booze, clean up litter, come and go on scheduale, lock the gates back, let them know when you will be on their property and provide a description of your vehicle, YOU can hunt there not ALL of your friends, share the rewards (farmers like meat to), You get the idea.

Dress Code: Jeans and a polo. Yes you have suit ( I have many) but it is not the place to show up wearing it. DO NOT wear all camo. It scares the crap out of the wife and she is probably the first one you are going to meet at the door. She will also be telling you what field her husband is in and how to find him so it is good to get off on the right foot. Thank her very much and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD even if it mans to just leave. If you do it in a nice manner the farmer down the road might let you hunt his property. Why does this matter? They are neighbors and WILL talk. I have few of the neighbors of my favorite farmer that have ASKED ME to come to their place to hunt and kill hogs. Word does get around.

Remember when I said FREE. Remember I LIED! Be prepared for complete frustration and to spend a lot on gas and driving and TIME. This takes time but you can and WILL find some great places that will cement you in and provide you a long time of almost hassle free hunting.

GL N GH
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Free Hunting In Florida: How to Get It.

Or get in tight with your neighbor who's family owns 1200 acres of ranch and groves
Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Free Hunting In Florida: How to Get It.

^ Lucky