Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

ballistic tip bullets

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ballistic tip bullets

As mentioned above, any bullet can kill a hog but after seeing hundreds of hogs shot with every conceivable caliber and bullet type, the ballistic tip is the least reliable. It will blow up on the shield of a big euro boar a majority of the shots. If you're just after ferals with that large caliber, it should work most of time.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My attitude about hogs is different than many people who view them as "trophy animals". I am a grass farmer which I feed to my cows, but the hogs seem to enjoy rooting up my pastures. Therefore, they are nuisance animals, and I want them ALL dead. I don't care how they die or where they die as long as they die.

I like ballistic tips for hogs because they do "explode" on impact but penetrate enough to do lethal internal damage. They run off and die, and I don't have to dispose of them. This may sound cruel, but with farm diesel at $4.45/gallon, I don't have the time or the money to keep repairing my fields.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot god knows how many hogs with my 30-06. I use Hornady 165 grain SST bullets. I have shot them up to 200+ pounds. I have NEVER not had one penetrate the animal and utterly destroy whatever was on the other side. I am sorry but these bullets just are not stopped by a shoulder blade or a shield. I just have not seen it yet. Maybe if you are using a .17HMR round but any larger size caliber just knocks the crap out of them. People make hogs sound like main line battle tanks and they just arent that damn tough.

retrieverman I too shoot them out of the rye grass field cause they screw them up and we have to replant. I wish they would run on out but we have to go get the gator and drag them out.