Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ballistic Tip Bullets >

Ballistic Tip Bullets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ballistic Tip Bullets

Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Ballistic Tip Bullets

Any opinions on 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for whitetails? I have a thread on the deer hunting forum about this but never see some of you there. Would like any opinion good or bad.OOOPS almost forgot Ruger.30-06 of course.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic Tip Bullets

I have a box of Remington Premier 165 Gr Nosler ballistic tips and have absolutely loved them. They can definitely put deer down. On my buck this fall i had a clean lung shot, the bullet hit a rib on the way out and blew a giant exit hole. Deer ran maybe 50 yards and Stevie Wonder could have followed that blood trail. Looked like a scene from a horror movie. My point is: they work great.

Problem is, i can't seem to find any more. I checked all the stores around here last fall and couldn't find any. The guy at Herb Philipsons looked it up and couldn't find anything about them. I ended up buying some core-lokts instead, but still have a couple ballistic tips left.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin

I have a box of Remington Premier 165 Gr Nosler ballistic tips and have absolutely loved them. They can definitely put deer down. On my buck this fall i had a clean lung shot, the bullet hit a rib on the way out and blew a giant exit hole. Deer ran maybe 50 yards and Stevie Wonder could have followed that blood trail. Looked like a scene from a horror movie. My point is: they work great.

Problem is, i can't seem to find any more. I checked all the stores around here last fall and couldn't find any. The guy at Herb Philipsons looked it up and couldn't find anything about them. I ended up buying some core-lokts instead, but still have a couple ballistic tips left.

I could be way off here because I am not an expert by any means. However, Nosler makes the Accubond bullet andRemington now has aPremier Accutip, which I believe they've had for sometime now. What I'm wondering if Federal has Nosler Ballistic Tips did Remington rename Ballistic Tips Accutip. Because aren't they basiclly the same bullet. I'm not sure how all this works with different companies having some of the same bullets from the same company. I also realize Remington does have a Accutip just for varmits. Like I said I could be way off and I apologize if I am. If you know different please let me know.

Oh ya I should also mention I realize that the Accubond is a totally different bullet. I'm just making the Accu connection with Nosler.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Nosler Ballistic Tips tend to open fast, expand violently, and sometimes shed cores, all of which makes then DARN hard to beat for whitetails. The .30 150gr B-tips perform exactly the same way as the 7mm 140gr that I, my daughter, son, and about a 1/2 million other hunters use. I've NEVER seen a deer go out of sight to need tracking when hit correctly with 1.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What I'm wondering if Federal has Nosler Ballistic Tips did Remington rename Ballistic Tips Accutip. Because aren't they basiclly the same bullet.
They are not the same bullet.The Remington Accutip load uses a Hornady bullet.The Hornady SST is similar to the Nosler ballistic tip,but it is not the same bullet.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Spike

Default 165gr BT

Prefer the 165gr BT in the 06'.

But to avoid excessive meat destruction the 165gr Accubond is much better with less bullet fragments due to the bond.

All the BT are very accurate along with the Accubonds. Another super bullet is the Bat Silver Tip that Win loads in its factory loads the 168gr BST is one very accurate bullet in the 308 Win or 30-06.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The Nosler Ballistic Tips tend to open fast, expand violently, and sometimes shed cores, all of which makes then DARN hard to beat for whitetails. The .30 150gr B-tips perform exactly the same way as the 7mm 140gr that I, my daughter, son, and about a 1/2 million other hunters use. I've NEVER seen a deer go out of sight to need tracking when hit correctly with 1.
X2, I've used them to kill whitetails in everthing from a 338-06 to a 257 Roberts... IMO they areTHE whitetail bullet
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard lots of people like them. A few have told me they prefer soft points but I've heard pretty good things about the ballistic tips too. I tried to use the Winchester Ballistic tips in my Browning BAR 30-06 and for some reason I couldn't get them to group well at all. I was shooting all over a 8" target at 100 yards. I switched to the Federal Fusions and the gun likes them much better. I don't know why it doesn't like the ballistic tips as I'd love to use them.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistic tips tend to be very accurate and have excellent long range form... For deer sized game they are an excellent bullet... I've used them for for years and have never had a complaint with them on whitetails, mulies, pronghorns and caribou...

On larger game like elk and moose, a premium type bullet such as the partition, accubond, or Barnes TSX is a better choice...

If I were hunting deer with a non-magnum .30 cal , the first bullet I would try would be the ballistic tip in either 150 or 165 grain...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the ballistic tips first came out I jumped on the bandwagon with everybody else.I loaded some for a .270 I used the 130 grain.The early ones were way to fragnable.Should have used the 140s.The later ones have been improved and stay together much better.I still use them in my 7s,But have long since went back to the Hornady interlock BTSP in most of my other calibers.That old bullet has been around for a long time and still does it's job reliably.JMHO

Quick Reply: Ballistic Tip Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.