Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

broad head

Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default broad head

what broad head do you guy use on hogs fix blade 100gr or 100 gr mechical
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broad head

Neither

I use 125gr fixed head with a 100gr brass insert on all my hunting arrows.

If I dont use the 100gr brass insert I use a 200gr broad head with standard insert.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fixed
Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'vesomehogs and I do not see the hype in needing fixed blades....just my experience.....

3 blade NAP spitfire XP's (Expandables) ......they blow through like butter....and I mean butter....
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM

I use 100 grain shockwave or 100 grain jackhammer....I only hog hunt, the mechanicals that I've listed are very tough and can eat the dirt numerous times and keep on killin! If your going to hunt trophy boar, then take a ribcage shot..their shoulder plates are extremely tough and youll end up having your target hog run away with your high dollar arrow sticking out of his shoulder. I stepped up to an 80# bow; 328fps from my 64#; 275fps due to lack of sufficient shoulder penetration. The 80# slings a 400gr carbon terminator with 100 gr jackhammer 1-1/4" cut and all my kills have been pass-through shots taken in the shoulder. One of my arrows has taken 6 hogs last season and still has new arrow qualities. If you decide to take on a hevier weight bow, make sure the arrows are designed for that weight.....cause nothing sucks more than having a carbon arrow explode into a million splinters (which all end up embedded in your forearm) as you pull the trigger on your release!

Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Spike

my son is going to use 150pd hortn cross bow and I was thinking 100 gr slick trick fix or 3 blade rage broad head what do you guy think
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM

when choosing broadheads keep in mind that a with a fixed blade broadhead, your bow/crossbow must be tuned to the fixed blade. They DO NOT fly like field points! Mechanical blades fly identical to a field point of equal weight. No special tuning required with mechanicals, sight in with your field points of equal weight, and your all set to use the same weight mechanical. With mechanicals I shoot 1" groups at 30 yards....and 3"-4" groups with fixed blades. Although fixed blades are damn near indestructable.....I'm hooked on mechanicals. Im not giving any advice, just my opinion and experience with shooting both type of broadheads.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tuning your bow might be a good idea too!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mechanical blades fly identical to a field point of equal weight. No special tuning required with mechanicals,
I beg to differ on the fixed head not flying right.

Mech. heads are just a band aid solution for an untuned bow, tune your bow properly and fixed blade heads will fly just as good and with the samePOI as field tips.

Of course bow tune is only part of it you must also have the correct spined arrows for your set up with a decent FOC and last of all the shooter also has to be tuned to his equipment.

So tune the bow, tune the arrow and tune the archer.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it possible some bows just tune easier than others and some like b/h's and some like expandables better?I like the sound of cut on contact and have plenty of time and with right help I am going to try to get the 3 tunes together and go with c.o.c b/h's! If I was pressed for time and knew I could make proper shot placement one of the tops xp's might be an option.I figure bow's are like guns can't measure all by one as a rule.What do I know...only been doing this since December.

Quick Reply: broad head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.