Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be? >

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be? How would you set it up? I have three rifles for deer hunting. I could use them, but two of them I'd have to go with heavier bullets and re sight in every time I went back and forth. I want to get away from that. The one rifle I could use for deer and wild boar is my Marlin 336 35 Rem. I'm going to put a Nikon 2-7x32mm Prostaff Shotgun Scope on it. I shoot Remington's 200 Core Lokt in it. It works great on deer! With that said, I'd like to set up a rifle specifically for wild boar hunting and maybe even use it for black bear hunting once in a while too.

We're getting quite a few established wild boar herds in Southern Central New York. They escaped from wildlife preserves in the area. Their starting to get out of control. The DEC and local farmers are on a big push to have people hunt as many of them as possible. There is no season or bag limits on them. We'll hunt them in the warmer months.

I want a quick handling rifle or carbine. I like the 35 Whelen. Remington doesn't chamber their 7600's in 35 Whelen anymore. I'd have to find a used one, or hope that Grice has Remington do another limited run on them soon. I like the look and feel of Remington's new 750 auto, however I don't know if I'm sold on the reliability of them. I've heard some good and a lot of bad about the 7400's. I like the Browning BAR's but they don't make them in 35 Whelen. A BAR in 358 Win. would be nice, that's not available either.

If I could I'd like to set up a Remington 7600 35 Whelen. I'd go with a 2-7x32mm or even a 3-9x32mm Nikon or Leupold scope. I might have to go with a 30-06 instead. I think a 30-06 would work very well too.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

ORIGINAL: New York Hunter

I've heard some good and a lot of bad about the 7400's. I like the Browning BAR's but they don't make them in 35 Whelen. A BAR in 358 Win. would be nice, that's not available either.

If I could I'd like to set up a Remington 7600 35 Whelen. I'd go with a 2-7x32mm or even a 3-9x32mm Nikon or Leupold scope. I might have to go with a 30-06 instead. I think a 30-06 would work very well too.

This is all you need30-30 vs Boar

These were ear shot with .17HMRhttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=2395901

This isVenado's web-site Check out over 700 great pictures at my website: Deer Hunting in Texas and Mexico http://residents.bowhunting.net/awesomehunting

Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Here is a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86809855

If you already have a 336 in 35 Rem, that is what I would dedicate for hogs, but if you are just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, I sure don't want to get in the way of progress.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't spend a bunch of money on a special hog/black bear gun. Your Marlin in .35 Remington will do just fine: Just put a scope on it.Spend the money instead on gas to go hog hunting. Central NY is a beautiful place as is western NY: Glad they got a few hogs there. Sure do hope that the NY DEC does not lethogs get out of control like many other states did. SW OK is over run with hogs and they are doing a lot of environmental and crop damage as well as adversly impacting the deer population.

Hog hunting ishighly addictive. Get them hogs!!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

The more I look at used 7600's in35 Whelen, the more I think if I do go with a 7600 I'd just buy a new one in 30-06. Ihad a 7600 Carbine 30-06a while back (wish I still had it). I'd get another carbinewith the matt finish andsynthetic stock and fore-end.[/align][/align]Would a 30-06 (carbine)shooting a 180 gr. Core Lokt or Partitionbullet be any more effective on boarweighing100 to 400 lbs. then a 35 Rem. shooting a 200 gr. Core Lokt? I ask because I've neverhunted boar before,just deer.[/align]
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: falcon

Glad they got a few hogs there. Sure do hope that the NY DEC does not lethogs get out of control like many other states did. SW OK is over run with hogs and they are doing a lot of environmental and crop damage as well as adversly impacting the deer population.

Hog hunting ishighly addictive. Get them hogs!!!!

falcon, I'm a little worried about the DEC. They, along with the farmers in the areareally want to get rid ofthe boar that have popped up in the last few years. Some escaped from a wild life preserve and they started breeding. Now they're wild. I like the idea of having them in the wild.The thing I don't like most about deer hunting is the time of year we have to do it. I have to be honest. I froze my *$$ off while deer hunting this year. It was warm (30° to 40°) during the week. On the weekends when we huntit would get a lot colder (10° to 20°) and windy.I want somethingI can hunt in the warmermonths of the year.With that said, I don't have a farm and they're not causing any damage to my property.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: New York Hunter

[/align]
[/align]Would a 30-06 (carbine)shooting a 180 gr. Core Lokt or Partitionbullet be any more effective on boarweighing100 to 400 lbs. then a 35 Rem. shooting a 200 gr. Core Lokt? I ask because I've neverhunted boar before,just deer.
[/align]
NYH, you're asking questions on a Hog Forum...Most of the guys on here are Seasoned Hog Hunters. I have been chasing hog dogs for 45+ years.Many use Bow & Arrows, many use small calibers, many who use hog dogs only use a Knife and there are some who use Cannons.

Did you open the links on my post?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I like the idea of having them in the wild."

So do i. Hogs in NY will probably not multiplyas fast as they do in more southern states. This yeareverysow i see with pigs has at least six or eight of them,some of them have more than that. There is a bumper crop of acorns here this year and sows next spring will have even more pigs. Despite the best efforts of bobcats, coyotes and hunters the hogs here just keep on multiplying.

"The thing I don't like most about deer hunting is the time of year we have to do it."

i hunt hogs year around here. One has to be careful in the summer or the meatwill spoil before it can be processed.A hog carcass will spoil much more quickly than that of a deer. Most of my hunting is done in areas that are close to stores and ice.

Get them hogs!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

7mm RemMag
150 grain boattail hollowpoint SMACK on any hog
killed one last night with it, about 150 yards away, about 350#turned and fell over
Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

7mm RemMag
150 grain boattail hollowpoint SMACK on any hog
killed one last night with it, about 150 yards away, about 350#turned and fell over

Quick Reply: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.