HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   If Hogs are real problem down south... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/206636-if-hogs-real-problem-down-south.html)

e4c4ever 09-12-2007 08:39 AM

If Hogs are real problem down south...

why are there still restrictions?I read that TX and LAhave a big problem with hogs. Why not try to wipe outhalf of the population? Is there anything that we can do?

Jim_IV 09-12-2007 09:06 AM

RE: If Hogs are real problem down south...

There are not any restrictions in Texas. The only one I can think of are that there are only certain types of weapons on public lands.

And I don't believe we will ever get rid of them, they multiply way to fast.

falcon 09-12-2007 09:43 AM

There are very few restrictions on thehunting of wild hogs in OK except for public land. A farmer can get a permitto hunt nuisance hogs at night. There are somany hogs in TX and OK that is impossible to keep the population from increasing and spreading.

Rebel Hog 09-12-2007 10:05 AM

Only restrictions in Fl are on WMA's, No restrictions on private properties, even at night!

e4c4ever 09-12-2007 10:20 AM

Oh, ok, I thought there were restrictions. So, in Tx, do you need a permit, or just a normal hunting license? So what do you all think is going to happen 10 years from now with all them pigs?

ETexashunter 09-12-2007 10:26 AM

Just a regular Texas hunting license is what's needed to hunt hogs. As long as they keep multiplying as fast as they do, we'll keep right on taking 'em out with weapons at hand.

Rebel Hog 09-12-2007 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: ETexashunter

Just a regular Texas hunting license is what's needed to hunt hogs. As long as they keep multiplying as fast as they do, we'll keep right on taking 'em out with weapons at hand.;)
Back in the 70's a Plant that I worked for (McGraw-Edison) 320 employees,shut down and moved to Nacogdoches,TX.....

TxHunter73 09-12-2007 11:58 AM

The lease where I hunt in East Texashas anywhere from 100-150 hogs killed annually.That's from people hunting and trapping them. With that many hogs being killed you don't even put a dent in the population.

Kanga 09-12-2007 12:16 PM

The biggest problem we have down here comes from the ranchers, they complain about the number of hogs on their land but when asked if we can go get some they say yeah but it is going to cost you $X per day and $X per lb on everything over 100lb.

The Rev, Txjourneyman and myself tried to put together the TFHMA to help the ranches out and hit a $$$$$ wall at every turn, Bob even email every Ag extension agent in the state to get some leads but all those leads just turned into the rancher wanting $$$$$$$ for us to help them get rid of some of their problem.

falcon 09-12-2007 12:31 PM

"the rancher wanting $$$$$$$ for us to help them get rid of some of their problem"

Bingo!!! Here in OK the wheat farmers complain about hogs rooting up their crop. But just ask if you can hunt hogs on their places and they tell you that their hunting rights are leased to some outfit from OK City, Tulsa or Dallas.

e4c4ever 09-12-2007 12:37 PM

That's ridiculous!!! Howis one going to pay the victim to getrid of pests? Another thing that puzzles me are these guided hunts. I know they have to make a living, but come on, these hunts are expensive! Just to get rid of pests?I understand that the pay includeds meals, a guide, and other expenses... But to kill an animal that is invasive? I support guided hunts for bear, waterfowl and other species, but not a hog! Too many out there!

Kanga 09-12-2007 01:26 PM

Another thing that puzzles me are these guided hunts.
Not the ones we contacted.

I understand that the pay includeds meals, a guide, and other expenses...
We had to find our own accomodation and supply our own meals. The ranchers did not have to lift a finger we even went to the extent of suppling our own release forms should anything go wrong and we got hurt.

As far as I am concerned they can keep their hog problem;)

If they want help in the future then they can pay us to go and get rid of some hogs:Dafter all I was paid to eradicate feral hogs back home for that matter they even supplied the helicopter I was shooting out of:)

childers 09-12-2007 02:08 PM

not many restrictions in ga but lots of fees

ETexashunter 09-12-2007 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: ETexashunter

Just a regular Texas hunting license is what's needed to hunt hogs. As long as they keep multiplying as fast as they do, we'll keep right on taking 'em out with weapons at hand.;)
Back in the 70's a Plant that I worked for (McGraw-Edison) 320 employees,shut down and moved to Nacogdoches,TX.....
I didn't move here 'till 1983, but I think McGraw Edison is still here, unless its under another name now. Was wondering why they moved Rebel Hog ??

chuck41 09-16-2007 05:17 PM

Here in Arkansas the hogs are a big problem to hunting clubs as well as to the farmers. Porkers play havoc with our feeders and food plots, but they are tasty.

Our club welcomed some hog hunters in after deer season was over this year, but not during the season. You might just check with the clubs that have the hunting rights leased and you might just get an invitation as long as it is outside the deer season. Problem is, when you quit putting out the feed them welfare hogs tend to disappear until the gravy train is turned back on.

The Rev 09-16-2007 06:13 PM

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/417510/wild_hog_hunt_serves_as_a_contest_a_diseasetesting _program/index.html?source=r_science

I talked with Anthony Netardus Tx Extention Agent when I was trying to put together the Texas Feral Hog Managment Association.He put togetherstate wide contest, that maybe someone could start in other hog infested areas. Check out the write up on this project. It mightstart some wheels turning here.

e4c4ever 09-18-2007 08:05 AM

That would be greatfor all hunters to get together and bring down this population. I'm really concerned about this.

CamoCop 09-25-2007 04:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

The biggest problem we have down here comes from the ranchers, they complain about the number of hogs on their land but when asked if we can go get some they say yeah but it is going to cost you $X per day and $X per lb on everything over 100lb.

The Rev, Txjourneyman and myself tried to put together the TFHMA to help the ranches out and hit a $$$$$ wall at every turn, Bob even email every Ag extension agent in the state to get some leads but all those leads just turned into the rancher wanting $$$$$$$ for us to help them get rid of some of their problem.
just a handful of hawgs can root up 50 acres in one night. seems to me when those farmers have no crops left....they'll pay you to hunt their hawgs;)

tycteach 09-25-2007 06:52 AM

I find it interesting that sometimes we, as hunters, will spend literally Thousands of dollars on our equipment to enjoy our great sport and then get the attitude that the farmer should just let us all roam around on his land (many times littering, drinking, shooting up everything in sight and try to sue at the first mishap) even if he doesn't know us from Adam or we haven't tried to develop a relationship of any kind. And of course we'd like to have that privilege for free. I think if most of us would think about it, we wouldn't want that type of activity in our "yards" either especially since we've paid quite a sum to acquire it and work hard to maintain it. I personally look at it as the farmer has something I want "hunting hogs" and I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for my entertainment the same as I would pay to go to a football game or a concert or a car race instead of me having to go through the enormous expense of having to buy and maintain my own land, etc. It doesn't really matter to me that he has too many hogs and would love to get rid of some. In fact, I like that idea as it would almost guarantee me an opportunity to kill a hog and maybe several. I guess we could try to hold them hostage by refusing to pay to hunt their hogs and cut off our own noses to spite our face in more than one way. We wouldn't get to hunt and with the destruction of the crops, we're eventually going to pay anyway with increased crop prices that we have to have to eat. Why is it that nobody wants to hold the professional football, basketball, baseball, car drivers, airline pilots or anyone else hostage. After all, if we all quit participating in their sport/livelihood, they'd be in big trouble too and might just have to drop their prices of admission or have a free night or two? And, when we think about it, we could do without them forever if we needed to because they don't provide what we actually need to survive, only entertainment. It might be interesting too for each of us to go out and buy a large tract of land, all the very expensive equipment that's required to work that land, the seed to put in the ground, the long hard filthy hours put in working it and the measly price we're going to get for the crop and then see if we wouldn't want some stranger to actually pay to trespass and hunt something that we would actually like to get rid of just so we could supplement our income a little. I have a feeling if the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all rather pay a little and not have to go through all the problems and risks and try to mix it in with all our other vices that we spend our hard earned money on. Well, just thought I might throw in a different perspective. Hope all can look at it in a little different light and try to put ourselves in the other's shoes. Priced a new combine, tractor, no-till drill, fertilizer, seed, crop insurance, diesel fuel, etc. lately???? A hundred dollars or so to have the privilege of enjoying my entertainment and not having to put up with all the rest is sure worth it to me. I don't want all the other headaches. $100 won't fix a flat on the rear of one of the farmers tractors much less make him a rich man, I can assure you of that. Have a great day and get a biggun the next time you're out there. Good luck!!!

burniegoeasily 09-25-2007 11:16 AM

No restrictions in Texas. YOu can shoot all you want, when you want, and at any time of the day or night. All year around.

Moose_Maximus 09-25-2007 02:31 PM

I personally think that farmers/ranchers charge money just as a kind of "idiot filter". As tycteach pointed out, one stray bullet can cause a lot of damage, and getting recompensed from some yahoo could be well-nigh impossible.

A friend of a friend used to let me dove hunt on his hobby ranch, a privilege he extended to others. All he asked in returnwas some respect and to pick up empty shotgun shells (his cattle had been known to eat them). Even so, he stillhad problems with idiots cutting his fences, leaving trash around, etc. etc.

So guess what? Thanks to guys like that, I lost my place to dove hunt. But I don't blame the landowner one bit.

falcon 09-26-2007 06:20 AM

"It might be interesting too for each of us to go out and buy a large tract of land, all the very expensive equipment that's required to work that land, the seed to put in the ground, the long hard filthy hours put in working it and the measly price we're going to get for the crop and then see if we wouldn't want some stranger to actually pay to trespass and hunt something that we would actually like to get rid of just so we could supplement our income a little."

You are correct. i do believe that most smaller family farms have a hard go of it. The larger farms are very different. They first thing they do when they acquire more land is to apply for more farm welfare money-your tax money and my tax money. Ten percent of large farms receive 70 percent of farm welfare money.

i was raised in WV where farmers take good care of their machinery. In OK and TX they buy a $150,000 combine or tractor and let it sitoutside in the weather until it is no longer serviceable. These farm porkers do not see the value in a $20,000 shed to house their farm machinery.

burniegoeasily 09-26-2007 01:54 PM

Charging money is what has come about with any farmer/rancher. People will pay, so they charge. Heck, I of guys whosfarms I use to hunt on for free, but not anymore. They now leasethem out to varmit hunters. Can you imagine paying for land to shoot nothing but yotes and prarie dogs? People from the city will pay big bucks to do so. I think its crazy, but people will pay, so farmers and ranchers take advantage.

burniegoeasily 09-26-2007 01:56 PM

i was raised in WV where farmers take good care of their machinery. In OK and TX they buy a $150,000 combine or tractor and let it sitoutside in the weather until it is no longer serviceable. These farm porkers do not see the value in a $20,000 shed to house their farm machinery.
very true. But they do make pretty good blinds to hunt from. That is once the windows are knocked out.

Jim_IV 09-26-2007 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: falcon

Are you serious?

Do you even know what you are talking about. How about you drive through Texas from top to bottom and then tell me how many tractors and how much equipment you see sitting outside. Don't go around making accusations about other people if you have no idea what your talking about. Have you ever even worked on a farm? I'm not talking about your grandpas dinky 20 acre place, I mean a big 10,000 to 100,000 acre place. My guess is that you haven't. Working on large farms and ranches most of my life I can honestly say I have driven combines, tractors, grain trucks, ect. that were 15 to 20 years old and still purring like a kitten.

Keith Miller 09-26-2007 03:15 PM

come plant hogs here in new mexico please lol , i wish we had an overpopulation of hogs here.

[email protected] 09-26-2007 07:37 PM

tycteach, I know you mean well, and I suspect you may earn some income from this sort of hunting arangement, and I do understand where you are comeing from.
At the same time you are overlooking some important points as well.
1, the people in the great state of Texas are begging for help with the hog problem!
2, If I were to come and help with their problem I'd have to loose a week of work, gas enough for the 1500 mile round trip ( I live in Alabama ) then pay for food and lodging, buy a non resident hunting license and low and behold pay a redicilous price for the hog if I do in fact kill one!
3,Why the he!! would I do something as stupid as this when a bear or elk hunt would likely not cost more?
4, Well I live 35 minutes from Talladega super speedway and I've never been to a race there, as I've never seen a pro baseball game or football game from the statum, and will never pay to see one either!

retrieverman 09-26-2007 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Reb

You should have come to Nacogdoches with the plant. It is a pretty nice place to live.

[email protected] 09-26-2007 08:18 PM

I should also mention that I am a land owner( only 90 acres ) but I allow others to hunt my land. I also have neighbors who also own land, several hundred acres, and we hunt each others land, all without charge.
I always plant 6 or more acres of corn which I leave standing in the field for deer, although this year the drought wiped it out.
But I still feel that should I find a problem weed growing in my field and ask other farmers to come and help me pull them up it would be kinda crappy to charge them xx$$ per lb for the weeds they remove!
I see a big difference between charging to hunt for a trophy buck and charging to help eridicate a nusence animal that is destroying the habitat!
I guess that puts me in the minority here but I don't apoligise for the way I feel

Moose_Maximus 09-27-2007 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

tycteach, I know you mean well, and I suspect you may earn some income from this sort of hunting arangement, and I do understand where you are comeing from.
At the same time you are overlooking some important points as well.
1, the people in the great state of Texas are begging for help with the hog problem!
2, If I were to come and help with their problem I'd have to loose a week of work, gas enough for the 1500 mile round trip ( I live in Alabama ) then pay for food and lodging, buy a non resident hunting license and low and behold pay a redicilous price for the hog if I do in fact kill one!
3,Why the he!! would I do something as stupid as this when a bear or elk hunt would likely not cost more?
4, Well I live 35 minutes from Talladega super speedway and I've never been to a race there, as I've never seen a pro baseball game or football game from the statum, and will never pay to see one either!
1. Name two.
2. So stay home.
3. Why, indeed.
4. Good for you.

A lot of the guys who are champing at the bit to hunt hogs live in urban/suburban areas (guys like me), and their hunting skills run the gamut, from being expert and ethical to being complete neophytes to being absolutely insane. To be blunt about it, guys like me have more money than free time, so it's worth it to us to pay a couple of hundred dollars to hunt hogs.

What people fail to realize (most of whom don't live in Texas) is that farmers and ranchers who know the guys who want to hunt there are reputed to be pretty good about letting them do it.

But then the guys they do know tend to invite others, and before you know it, the landowner has problems. In these lawsuit-crazy days, I don't blame the landowners for being careful about who gets on their property.Trading one kind of destructivepest (hogs) for another (morons with guns) isn't much of an improvement.

Any landowner is under no obligation whatsoever to allow anyone to hunt on his property. In fact, I own land that I don't hunt, and I won't let anyone else hunt either, because I don't want to be liable for some idiot.

tycteach 09-27-2007 05:01 PM

Yep, fornra, you caught me "red handed" on that one. My son actually made a whopping $100 on a hog hunt on our land when he was unemployed for a while. The group of 4 (3 generations) hunted for several days (4 or 5 I think) and shot 3 hogs. They actually found 2 of them. They were great people. My son was going to turn down the money, but they insisted so he took it. I'm guessing we baited those hogs with corn and mungbeans and peanuts for probably a month or two and let them use our jeep and 6 wheeler and of course our skinning tree, scales, etc. For them, I'd do it all over again because they were great people, very polite, took good care of my land and equipment, hunted safely and followed all the rules. AND I think they had a great time and got to do something they had wanted to do for a long time but couldn't afford any other way. I have plenty of friends that can hunt them any time they want for nothing, of course. For others, well, let's just say that I'd rather have the hogs at this point. If the hogs hadn't gone nocturnal on them, they would have got more. Too bad, because I wouldn't have cared if they killed them all. All of us aren't out to make a killing just as all hunters aren't bad (exactly to the contrary). It's not really about whether the animal is a nuisance or not. It's sometimes about where it's located and who is going to be there and how they might act especially if you don't know them. I don't think any hunt should be overpriced but I do believe that the landowner should have the right to charge (just as the hunters have the right not to come) if he has something others want even if he has them to excess. I've always struggled with high priced out of state licenses when one is hunting on National Park land or Bureau of Land Management land that we might all actually own. So since my vehicle wears an out of state license plate, I get to pay 5 times as much for a license to hunt on property that I own too. Just never made much sense to me. I always felt that one should check the license plate before the hamburgers were served. If they are from out of state, they should have to pay more. There is a little sarcasm in there so don't take me literally on all of that, please. I guess we all have our pet peeves. I was just throwing out a little different perspective just in case someone hadn't thought of that angle. Didn't mean to upset anyone. I sure hope my son doesn't read this. I'd say when all the subtracting was done, my son didn't make so much on that hunt that it would make him feel too guilty. Do you think we could convince those people who live where the deer are eating up all their crops and colliding with all their vehicles, etc to let us all come up there and hunt for free? I suspect they'd still want something to harvest all those nuisance animals? And, I'll defend their right to do that. I may not be able to afford it or I may be so against it that I simply wouldn't do it. But there are some out there that make their money a different way than I do and make enough of it that they don't mind spending some of it on things they couldn't do any other way. I say to both of them.....go for it. Isn't this a great country? There are many who spend more in a day on entertainment than I make in a month or more. Nothing wrong with that. I guess it's all about choices for us all. I do appreciate your stand and hope you can see a little of what I was trying to get across. I suspect, we might be a lot more alike than we realize.

[email protected] 09-27-2007 08:08 PM

tycteach, your points are much more agreeable in your second post than your first one.
I tend to find some good people on these forums and I suspect you are one of them, what you and your son did for those people was commendable.
I do have more to add to this but not in reply to you as you have explaned yourself well to me, thanks Glenn

[email protected] 09-27-2007 08:29 PM

Moose Maximus, did you just call yourself an idoit, kinda sounded like it to me, but since I don't know you personally I can neither agree nor disagree;)
And to name two, I'll not spend my night chaseing post from other forums but I'll give you a hint, check Thunderbucks and Beartooth, since both have had post (like I said begging for help with the wild hogs).
When you start looking into the possiability of going then the price tag jumps out and usually their is a premium for a hog that weighs over 200lbs
And no I'll not go to watch a bunch of grown men, some with college educations and still can't spell their own name, get paid millions to play a freiking kids game, I'd rather have a toothache!
That remindes me of Bo Jacksons Heisman Trophy acceptance speech;
My heart is beating 90 seconds a minute! yep he was a hero! Glenn

Moose_Maximus 09-27-2007 09:05 PM

And no I'll not go to watch a bunch of grown men, some with college educations and still can't spell their own name
I'd be very careful about criticizing anyone's spelling if I were you (which, fortunately, I am not).

burniegoeasily 09-28-2007 09:18 AM

I own over 600 acers and I use to let people hunt hogs for free. That was until they started makeing a mess of the place and letting everyone they know go out. It got to the point, that when I would go out, id have people get hostile with me. They had no clue whos land they were on, and thought I was Joe Smoe coming to mess up their hunt. I actually had to call the cops one time to get some people off my land. They insisted they had the right to hunt there. They did not believe it was my land. In retrospec, I should have filed charges. I had one occasion where there were guys i let hunt dove there and they not only took way more birds than their limit,and also poached a doe. Needless to say, I let the game warden handle that one. Now I only let close friends and family hunt it. I have had many people from Dallas offer big bucks to just hunt varmits. Hogs, yotes, etc. But from prior expericence, I wont take anymore chances. Its sad, but my land is closed to everyone but close friends and family. I think a lot of farmers and ranchers feel the same way. Or they are looking to make a buck. Kinda hard to fault them for that.

cynikalHC 09-28-2007 03:08 PM

It all comes down to the landowners wanting to make the $$$$. If it was as bad of a problem as they say then they would welcome the offer for some of them to get taken off their land.

[email protected] 09-28-2007 07:00 PM

Moose Maximus, I would rather not get into a name calling debate.
If I have offended you I apolligize and would like to try starting over!
I still think it's wrong to ask for help and then charge for recieving it. We will never agree on everthing and if we did these forums would get very boaring .
I've been out of school for 30 something years and my spelling does suffer a little, but my math is in pretty good shape. Glenn

Moose_Maximus 09-28-2007 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: cynikalHC

It all comes down to the landowners wanting to make the $$$$. If it was as bad of a problem as they say then they would welcome the offer for some of them to get taken off their land.
It is a problem, but that doesn't mean that opening the land to just anybody is the solution.

We all wish that we could find great places to hunt for free, but Texas has a long tradition of charging people to hunt, and that's not going to go away quickly.

Burniegoeasily's experience is, I think, fairly typical. What starts out as a good idea quickly becomes a bigger problem than the hogs ever were, in a classic case of "No good deed goes unpunished."

As for making a buck, I don't see what'swrong withit. People don't buy land to create a public utility; most of them buy it for the specific purpose of making a living from it. I have tremendous respect for farmers and ranchers; they are collectively the hardest-working people I've ever met, and also the most underpaid (considering that most Americans would starve to death in about a week if ranchers and farmers quit doing what they do). If they can make a little extra money by charging for access to hunt hogs, more power to 'em. It's free enterprise in action.

Finally, it's just human nature that many people don't take care of what they don't pay for. You can drive through any neighborhood (especially lower-income areas, like where I live) and just about point to which houses are owner-occupied and which are rented out. Try to imaginehow much worsethose rental houses would look if people were living there for free.

(And Glenn, I apologize, too, for being such a jerk. I'm old enough to know better than to be so rude.)

[email protected] 09-29-2007 08:29 PM

Moose Maximus, I live in middle Alabama, between here and Mississippi we define lower income!
My son and I are doing some repair work for the housing athority and we were a little suprised at what we found.
We are repairing the railing on the porches and steps, replacing the rusted out sections. Every inch of the rail bottoms are rusted away from these people pissing on them!
There aren't any white people to be found either, and most of these people pay from $17.50- $30.00 per month in rent, all have fancy cars with the big wheels and loud vulgar music blasting from their windows.
It just makes me proud to see where my tax dollars are going,( oh and the smell of pot is allways in the air )

Moose_Maximus 09-29-2007 09:16 PM

Moose Maximus, I live in middle Alabama, between here and Mississippi we define lower income!
My son and I are doing some repair work for the housing athority and we were a little suprised at what we found.
We are repairing the railing on the porches and steps, replacing the rusted out sections. Every inch of the rail bottoms are rusted away from these people pissing on them!
There aren't any white people to be found either, and most of these people pay from $17.50- $30.00 per month in rent, all have fancy cars with the big wheels and loud vulgar music blasting from their windows.
It just makes me proud to see where my tax dollars are going,( oh and the smell of pot is allways in the air )
Hmm....that does indeed sound a lot like my neighborhood, though here it's mixed-race and I don't think there are many government-subsidized houses. It's common to see a $60,000 car parked in the driveway of a $40,000 house (that's rapidly becoming a $30,000 house). I own my home and have lived here for 19 years; imagine how thrilled I am to see how my neighborhood has turned out.

Just goes to show that not all destructive pests have four legs (getting back to the subject of hogs...).