Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

wma hogs

Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wma hogs

well im taking my bow and my 22. tonight. i am going back to the place i have been taking about. it looks like a hog heaven honey hole. wiht all thick brush around everywhere. then it opens up to grass and a humongus wallow and has a big tree with it. i think it sounds like a great place. plus i know a spot where they like to go and eat on the food plot but its a big hike to that spot
Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

well once again i return w/o even seeing a hog. im yet to see them but there is pletty of sign. i either hunt early morning or late evening. what am i doing wrong?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok so i just bought 80 lbs of deer corn how should i use it for the hogs?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have never imagined that a .22LRis a cartridge you would want to use for hogs. I would guess it would have to be a head shot and anything less would just get them pissed off at you and even with a head shot it better be a good one.
If I had the option, I would use something with a little more beef. Something that might break a shoulder or sumpin. I guess you could poke him in the lungs but that might lead to a difficult recovery due to a poor blood trail. Them pigs clot up good and fast and the fat just seems to fill in the hole.
If you do opt for the .22, just make sure your next to a climbing tree. Good luck and god speed. You might need it.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

im trying to get enough money for a bigger rifle or shotgun. but we carry my bow and big blade knives
Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you do use your 22LR... place the shot just under the ear. That will go into the brain.. Why don't you use your bow as the primary weapon? That's all we use.And atree for a back up.

When hunting hogs, you need to remember safety and precaution or else you will be the one who is hunted. Here are few helpful tips to ensure the biggest hog on your hunt.

1) Keep trees and brush between you and the hog to break up your silhouette as you try to stalk to within bow range of the hog, if you spot him in the woods, and you're downwind of him. Remember that hogs have poor eyesight.
2) Don't walk across the trail that you expect hogs to come from to reach your tree stand. Even when wearing rubber boots, you can leave enough human odor in the area to spook a hog, which has a very keen sense of smell.
3) Scout for hogs the day before you plan to hunt. Hogs are very nomadic and may be in an area one day and gone the next.
4) Remember that hogs will go most anywhere but generally prefer to bed and travel close to water and in thick cover.
5) Do your homework. If you find a tree that hogs have rubbed against or boars have sharpened their tusks on, the higher you see the tusk slashes from the ground, generally the bigger the boar. Although this sign means a big boar has frequented this region, don't put a tree stand there. You're more likely to catch hogs moving on trails leading from feeding to bedding areas.
6) Plan to change stands if you shoot at or miss a hog on one stand because more than likely that same hog or group of hogs won't return to that stand site anytime soon.
7) Place your arrow behind the gristled shield on the hog's shoulders that covers the hog's vitals for your best chance to recover a hog once you've hit it. Your best shot is a quartering-away shot.
8) Take a dog that has a good nose into the area where you've arrowed a hog. Big hogs are usually fat, and their wounds close up quickly. Often they won't leave a very good blood trail. However, a dog with a good nose that's accustomed to locating wounded game, often will find your hog for you.
9) Hunt the trails leading to a feeder to see hogs the most consistently. Don't hunt right over the feeder. If you take or wound a hog on the trail leading to the feeder, more than likely the hogs will continue to use that feeder but may take a different trail to it. However, if you shoot at, hit or miss a hog at a feeder, the hogs may not return to the feeder for several days.
10) Identify the two types of hogs, offensive hogs and defensive hogs. An offensive hog will be a boar that weighs 200 pounds or more that has large tusks. Your chances of seeing him are slim. If you do take him, the meat probably will be strong tasting, unless the boar has been castrated and released before you take him.
A defensive hog, either a sow or a boar, will weigh between 50 and 150 pounds. You'll see more of this size hog when you hunt, and you'll find them easier to take and delicious to eat. They don't have as much fat as the offensive hogs and also will be low in cholesterol and usually tender.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: childers

ok so i just bought 80 lbs of deer corn how should i use it for the hogs?
make sure its legal first, most wma's wont allow baiting...youre gonna get one, just being out in the woods will increase your odds.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not gunna hunt over it but i will pour it out a couple days before and they could eat it then they will stay in the area i think
Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: childers

im not gunna hunt over it but i will pour it out a couple days before and they could eat it then they will stay in the area i think
lol.that would still be considered baiting...if an officer found your pile of corn and then he set up and busted you, you would lose, wouldnt have a chance of winning that one....like i said, make sure it is legal....adding food sources of any kind is illegal on florida wma's....believe me, i'd be doing it if i didnt know it was illegal to bring any food source in.....even acorns from home....i asked about it the year the hurricanes destroyed our acorn crop because my tree at home was covered and i was told NO, not even acorns.....or mineral wafers, nothing that they can get nutritional value from....
just have some patience, you're time will come....