Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog dogs- breeds?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hog dogs- breeds?

Anyone using plotthounds for hoghunting? Are they any good? Here in sweden plotthounds are used most for hunting bear and other predators. Wich breeds are known and used in the USA for hog hunting...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog dogs- breeds?

ORIGINAL: B.B.A.

Anyone using plott hounds for hoghunting? Are they any good? Here in Sweden plott hounds are used most for hunting bear and other predators. Wich breeds are known and used in the USA for hog hunting...
I met Mr. Plott in his home town of Franklin, North Carolina back in 1967. Yes,he bred thePlots for bear. My wife is also from the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. She had an uncle (Billy Finger, from Maggie Valley) which was a well known Bear hunter in his area of NW NC and NE TN....

I ran and bredHog Dogs for over 45yrs all over the state of Florida. My crosses were, Catahoula, Rhodesian Ridgeback and American Pit Bull. My hunting partner is 77 years old and still runs Hog Dogs. He has 26 dogs on his place. He just sold two starterPup's to a hunter inthe Dominican Republic for $800 each.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

My crosses were, Catahoula, Rhodesian Ridgeback and American Pit Bull.
Interesting, is it common to use crossbreeds on hogs? Tell me more about your crossbreeds. Here in sweden we're using mostly pure blood such as the jagdterrier or swedish moosehounds. slovensky kopov is another breed that is used on hogs. Not many swedish hunters are using the ridgeback, only for bloodtrails...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: B.B.A.

My crosses were, Catahoula, Rhodesian Ridgeback and American Pit Bull.
Interesting, is it common to use crossbreeds on hogs? Tell me more about your crossbreeds. Here in Sweden we're using mostly pure blood such as the jagdterrier or Swedish loosehounds. slovensky kopov is another breed that is used on hogs. Not many Swedish hunters are using the ridgeback, only for blood trails...
Youcross breed dogs for their individualbreedqualities....Catahoula (Endurance and Natural Hunter........American Indian Breed), Rhodesian Ridgeback (Courage and Fearless.....Bred in Africa to hunt Lions) and American Pit Bull(Slip Joint Jaw and leg height)....A dog with long legs gets gutted easy and often. In over 45yrs of running Hog Dogs, never used Vest'son my dogs...
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Here in SC I've mostly seen Plotts and Catahoulas for trailing and baying and Pit Bulls for catching. Great combination.