Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Got my first pig!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got my first pig!!

The shoulders commonly called butts are great for the smoker or gill. They also make a good roast. I like to inject them with pineapple or apple juiceand bar-b-que them slow. the acid in the juice breaks down enzymes and make it even more tender and juicy.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

OHHH now my mouth is watering for some pork shoulder!Those look alot tastier than what I dodge on the road going to work.There's alot of hogs out here are "sand footed",running in sand country they get wide feet and pretty tender when they hit asphalt.I think some of them are born in sand country and never leave,our Mule deer are the same way...darn desert dwellers.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

OHHH now my mouth is watering for some pork shoulder!Those look alot tastier than what I dodge on the road going to work.There's alot of hogs out here are "sand footed",running in sand country they get wide feet and pretty tender when they hit asphalt.I think some of them are born in sand country and never leave,our Mule deer are the same way...darn desert dwellers.
Sounds like you need help Killing some ..
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM

My favorite way to use them is as Hawaiian pork. Cut up about a pound and a half of the meat in cubes and place in your crock pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I put in about a tablespoon of fenel seed which gives a nice unique taste.) Open a big can of pineapple chunks and put the liquid in the pot. Cook on high for about three hours.

Turn off and remove about a cup of liquid. Cool it down with a bit of ice cubes and stir in a couple tablespoons of flour or cornstarch to thicken it a bit. Cut up a large onion in small chunks and also a large green pepper and put in the pot along with the pineapple. Add a couple tablespoons of Worcestshire sauce and about three or four packages of Sweet 'n Low or other sweetner or a couple tablespoons of sugar. Pour the liquid back in the pot and cook on high for another hour until it is bubbling and turn down to low until the meat and vegetables are well done !!!

Serve over rice. Goes nice with a good glass of wine,but then what doesn't?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds good........just wanted to add my congrats......so congrats