Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 recomendations to a newbie >

recomendations to a newbie

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

recomendations to a newbie

Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Default RE: recomendations to a newbie

Just study the pictures posted above before you go and shot placement is very important. Good luck and don't forget your camera.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Not a big fan of ballistic tips. I suggest whenever possible use nosler partition. I shoot a .300 Wthby Mag & a .300 Short Mag. Good shot on sows and typical boars is right behind the ear - it won't go anywhere. On a good boar that you want to mount the skull on follow everyone's advice up top. Last January I shot 300lb boar. I blew out both lungs and shattered his front shoulder and he still went 100 yards on me - ran out of light and didn't find him until the next day. Consequently I also used 180 gr ballistic tip. That was the last time I used that round. Nosler partitions for me and a headshot when I can.

Warm regards,

Kevin
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

ead Shot right in the ear hole, i killed two with one shot doing that . they lined up at the corn and my 7 Mag barked and i had 500 pounds of pork on the ground. but i have shot them in the shoulder and they run off .I hate chasing them too
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM

thanks for all the help guys
now it is off to the range to re-zero my scope
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

My .243 barrel throws various manufaturers rounds differently. Which has caused some folks to say the caliber is inconsistent or has created non- 243 fans.
I have 3 family members & 2 friends(former military snipers) who have the same caliber. Three of us have the same model. Each gun "prefers" a different round. Mine groups the 95 gr ballistic tips and the Hornady's the best. My brother's groups the Hornady's the best. My dad's groups the cheapest Remington 100 gr the best then the Federal 85grain Sierra Game Kings. My husbandis handloading his .243 rounds to try to find what his rifle groups best.
As far as BTSP or NP or Ballistic tips, I'm gonna say find one that groups well from your gun and then field test them yourself.
Personally, I prefer the animalabsorb as much of the bullet's energy as possible.I've had littledamage to the meat as have the others I know shooting the samebullet.The majority of my kills with the 95 gr Winchester Supreme rounds have not gone more than 50 yds from where they were shot.

Oh and once you get a confirmed kill with this caliber you're eligible to join Team .243 (we're getting caps & shirts). Happy shooting and hunting.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you that most of our outfitters are not fond of a 243 for a hog gun. I would forget the body all together and shoot them as close to the ear as possible. Just this spring we had some turkey hunters that also did some hog hunting with a 243 and they left a couple of the bigger hogs with nothing but a a limp trying to shoot them inthe shoulder area. A hog is not a deer and a 243 although will kill them with a properly placed shot is not over allcaliber enough for hogs.