Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What should I hunt?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Default What should I hunt?

I going to colorado in a month to hunt exotics, I have not decided what to hunt. Soooo.. I guess I'm looking for some advice or opinions?
I've never hunted them before and am very excited. I can hunt Hogs, and a few different Rams. ie. Mouflan, Corsican, Texas Dall, Black Hawaiian, Barbado, Painted Desert Ram, & also Catalina and Spanish Goats.
(basically, which would you choose or have chosen and was the funnest?)
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What should I hunt?

Sounds like a problem Id like to have right now. lol. I cant help ya there. All the exotics ive shot have been hogs and audads. Thats because they are running lose here in Texas. I can tell you, Audads look cool, but dont taste real good. I can only assume that other goats taste similar.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm going to Texas in August. The ranch has Texas Dalls and Mouflons. I can shoot one or the other. I prefer the Texas Dall. I just like the way they look, that's all.

Just imagine which one would look the best on your wall.

Kev
Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you hunting them with? How do you want to hunt? (spot and stock or stand/blind)This could change your chances at each individual animal.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM

rankbull,
I will be planning on hunting them with a bow. As far as spot-n-stalk or stand/blind is kinda up in the air. I guess whatever I have a better chance at getting something. I'm used to hunting Spot-n-stalk, but it would also be nice to try something new?
Anyways thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Dont waste an arrow or $ on Spanish Goats. They are terrible! As far a sheep, a good Mouflon is hard to beat. Not bad eatin', either!

I have Spanish Goats on our ranch and encourage hunters shoot them for free! They are equal toa cockroach, in my opinion!

Enjoy your hunt. I believe you will see many animals. What ranch are you huntin', anyway? Bring a camera!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken a couple Rams (Corsica & a Red Sheep) as have my Bowhunting buddies-"TRYING" to eat any of them has been a "BAD" experience. I tend not to shoot anything I won't eat so my Rams have gone to a Mexican family that makes Tortillias out of them.
Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call the ranch and ask them about the rams, I am going for one this summer but dont know yet. I was thinking about Spanish goat but heard that they are not hard at all to get I want a challenge.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The goats are good if you're going for meat and not a challenge. Remember the big billies don't eat too well. The nannies are much more edible. When the herd runs, the action can be fun though.

The sheep will eat better, but some of the older rams are well, older animals. Some of the best looking sheep in Hawaiihave some Corsican mixed in them. The mouflon X sheep hybrids eat as well as any.

Even the rankest goat can be rendered into decent table fare, but it takes a bit of preparation. Unless you absolutely gotta get a set of goat "helicopter horns", your moneywill be best spent on a nice ram.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

never been a fan of the catilina got a silver medal texas dall on the wallwhen bow huntin spot and stalk sometimes the challenge is geetin them awaqy from each other for a good shot most challenge ive seen wiht the rams very frustrating but fun but needles 2 say that was first ram and probly last he was rank smeelin meat horrible but an old ram.the most spooky ihave run across are red sheep dang things can be as spooky as a dang whitetail