Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Ever hunted here in Texas?? >

Ever hunted here in Texas??

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Ever hunted here in Texas??

Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Ever hunted here in Texas??

This summer, 3 of us from Maine are traveling to Texas to bow-hunt Rams and hogs.

We're going to TURK-NINE RANCH which is in Kinney County, Texas. 16 miles north of Brackettville, TX.

We are going for 5 days, allowed to shoot 1 ram, (Either Dall or Mouflon) and unlimited hogs. For the past couple years, we have been going to Florida and had great luck, but that guy isn't doing it in the summer anymore. We have to go in the summer as 2 of us are school teachers. It has been over 100 degrees both years in Florida with 100% humidity. We have been told by the ranch owner that it is usually under 20% humidity on his ranch in August, so maybe it will be SLIGHTLY better there.

Anyone here ever hunted there????

Thanks, Kev
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Default RE: Ever hunted here in Texas??

No, i sure haven't but make sure you bring a camera.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Southern Hog Hunting

No, i sure haven't but make sure you bring a camera.

Oh yeah, camera will be with all 3 of us. I have made a good camera mount for my Sony handy cam out of a folding bow hanger. One of those that unfolds and screws into the tree....I took the hook off the end and then I cut the top off of a camera's tri-pod, then mounted that on the end of the bow hanger.

Should work nice, screw it into the tree next to me, then I'll just have to hit the record button as the animal comes in. (At lleast that's how I plan on it happening....

Kev
Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure you are going to find any trees big enough to climb in that area of Texas. There are pleny of mesquite but in that area it is more brush than a tree.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Spike

August in south Texas will be over 100 degrees but 20% humidity sounds about right. Some mesquites can get pretty big by west Texas standards but nothing like you see in Maine. Most hunting in done on the ground. Big Pigs and lots of them.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM

I am not familiar with his place. Just about any reputable archery ranch will provide a great hunt. You should see a ton of animals! Good luck and I look forward to seeing those pictures!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

since you havebeen to Florida you know about the bugs and heat. It will be hot, whichcan make the hog hunting a pain in the butt. Find water and if they will doit, night hunt. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM

I live in east Texas but own a ranch (350 acres) in Kinney Co between Uvalde and Bracketville and I can tell you that it will be HOT. The only trees out there are on creeks, otherwise nothing over 7-6 feet tall. Great place to hunt, had big anthrax die off about 5 yrs ago but the deer are really coming back. Watch out for rattlers and wet backs, plenty of both. BRING SNAKE BOOTS!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Navasota, which you'll probably dont know where it is, but I own a 2 thousnad acre rnach a few miles before the ranch you will be hunting on. I have blackbuck, axis barbado, audad, mouflon pleny of hogs and whitetail. Now, about the area,I have about six box stands spread out but dont like using them. When you get since you will have 5 days, ask if you can ride on a 4 wheeler or preferably( scare of less) Gator or mule and ride around the property and look at the game. You will learn alot just by doing that. Now most of youll are right there are very litte trees. So that kicks tree stand which isnt the best idea anyways.If he has good water holes or water troughs he will probabnly have stands set up close. In that area, especially that time of year, you must hunt water, which is what they will be hunting. Now since you will be hunting rams let me tell you abit more. Dont get up before daylight. Even thourgh you might thinkl since it gets so hot they might get up early and stay cool, common miscunseption. Get up right at sunlight and if allowed you might even try just riding around if the ride went well earlier meaning not spooked. The rams will have several ewes even though there might only be 2 or 3 rams, just a piece of info. Now the rams will begin to feed about 30 or 60 minutes after sunrise and finish after about an hour. They will then more than likely head to some sort of shade relatively close to plenty of water and bed down for most of the day periodically getting drinks throughout the day. The will also head out to eat about 3 hours before dark and slowly make there way home. The best spot would probably be between the shade with water, and the route to the mountains which more than is where they bed. Mornings would also work better but are harder to time. If you do decide to hunt on the ground find a small hillside on edge of main mountaion where they are coming from and post in morning. Now what i mean is arouynd most large mountains there are still hills and drops that will be on the trail for the rams. Well, there SO much more I could tell you about strategies and techniques about Hill country ram hunting but my fingers are tired. But if you would like to know more just email me.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Never hunted that particular ranch but I have hunted the area. You should be hip deep in hogs. Watch out for snakes too.

Quick Reply: Ever hunted here in Texas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.