Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Stalking hogs with a bow

Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Banned

Default Stalking hogs with a bow

Me and my buddy are thinking about going out and stalking some hogs with our bows. He thinks we need to bring a pistol, just in case, and I don't think it would necessary. I was wondering what you guys do when y'all stalk hogs with a bow or what y'all would recommend. Neither one of us has hunted hogs that much.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stalking hogs with a bow

ORIGINAL: Bubbahoo18

He thinks we need to bring a pistol, just in case, and I don't think it would necessary. I was wondering what you guys do when y'all stalk hogs with a bow or what y'all would recommend.
IMHO a pistol is a good idea, depending upon how thick it is where you hunt.. nothing worse then getting on your hands and knees and going into it looking for sign and/or your pig....

stalking is fun.... sometimes you are successful, sometimes the pig is.. Good luck...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Check your State Regs for carrying a side arm in Archery Season on Public Lands.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bow hunt hogs all the time. Usually at least once a week. I can't legally carry a pistol so I don't. I have never had a problem. That said, I'd carry a pistol if I could do it legally!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive done it for over 20 years and have never needed a pistol. Some times I have on, most of the time I have not.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Been hunting hogs with only archery gear since I started hunting. Never had a hog charge...That's a different story when hunting with our dogs. Have been charged a few times by 150lb boars, not very fun...but very very exciting. Id say dont even bring it...and make sure you put your shot in the lungs or heart.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually carry a pistol, not for the hogs, for Ausie-guy to shoot trees with...
He did to, he took my pistol one day before a hunt and shot a tree in Kyles front yard. Kyle came running out with a look on his face like "What the Hell?"

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Now now Rev., finish the story.

It was opening day of tree season. He just bagged a high fenced oak.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM

If it makes your friend feel more secure and there is no law against it, then by all means take a pistol. We don't have a season for hogs here in Texas so we there is no firearm in archery season conflict.

Hubby and I have stalked hogs in South Texas while bow hunting and have never had one charge ... one hint that we were in the area and they ran the other way! While hunting with dogs here in East Texas, we have had them charge us, the dogs, the mules, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!!

Quick Reply: Stalking hogs with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.