HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Stalking hogs with a bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/187762-stalking-hogs-bow.html)

Hooker 04-10-2007 05:55 AM

Stalking hogs with a bow

Me and my buddy are thinking about going out and stalking some hogs with our bows. He thinks we need to bring a pistol, just in case, and I don't think it would necessary. I was wondering what you guys do when y'all stalk hogs with a bow or what y'all would recommend. Neither one of us has hunted hogs that much.

Sewer Rat 04-10-2007 09:15 AM

RE: Stalking hogs with a bow

ORIGINAL: Bubbahoo18

He thinks we need to bring a pistol, just in case, and I don't think it would necessary. I was wondering what you guys do when y'all stalk hogs with a bow or what y'all would recommend.
IMHO a pistol is a good idea, depending upon how thick it is where you hunt.. nothing worse then getting on your hands and knees and going into it looking for sign and/or your pig....

stalking is fun.... sometimes you are successful, sometimes the pig is.. Good luck...

Rebel Hog 04-10-2007 09:30 AM

Check your State Regs for carrying a side arm in Archery Season on Public Lands.

txjourneyman 04-10-2007 10:52 AM

I bow hunt hogs all the time. Usually at least once a week. I can't legally carry a pistol so I don't. I have never had a problem. That said, I'd carry a pistol if I could do it legally!

burniegoeasily 04-10-2007 01:47 PM

Ive done it for over 20 years and have never needed a pistol. Some times I have on, most of the time I have not.

EvBouret 04-10-2007 04:18 PM

Been hunting hogs with only archery gear since I started hunting. Never had a hog charge...That's a different story when hunting with our dogs. Have been charged a few times by 150lb boars, not very fun...but very very exciting. Id say dont even bring it...and make sure you put your shot in the lungs or heart.

Hooker 04-10-2007 07:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Rev 04-11-2007 05:12 AM

I usually carry a pistol, not for the hogs, for Ausie-guy to shoot trees with.:D:D:D..
He did to, he took my pistol one day before a hunt and shot a tree in Kyles front yard. Kyle came running out with a look on his face like "What the Hell?" :D:D:D

burniegoeasily 04-11-2007 11:52 AM

Now now Rev., finish the story.

It was opening day of tree season. He just bagged a high fenced oak.

TxStarr 04-11-2007 01:22 PM

If it makes your friend feel more secure and there is no law against it, then by all means take a pistol. We don't have a season for hogs here in Texas so we there is no firearm in archery season conflict.

Hubby and I have stalked hogs in South Texas while bow hunting and have never had one charge ... one hint that we were in the area and they ran the other way! While hunting with dogs here in East Texas, we have had them charge us, the dogs, the mules, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!!