Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Threated by a Boar!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Threated by a Boar!

I dropped a nice sow last Sunday. I was leaving my blind and was discouraged after 2 days of fruitlesshunting. By habit I was creeping along as quietly as possible. It was close to dark. I heard some rustling in the brush and then heard a deep grunt! I just kneeled by a cedar and raised my Mauser 1909 in .300 Win Mag with sightron sII mounted. The First hog to emerge and cross the trail wa a big boar, maybe 400 lbs. Biggest I have ever seen. I decided not to take him as I was a mile away from my vehicle and I don't yet own a 4 wheeler.
But a nice sow emerged next. She was about 150 Lbs. I shot her quick as thinking and scored a perfect shot at 60 yards. She Dropped and did not get up. Then a herd of hogs shot out of the brush and scattered. I waited a moment and then went to my kill. BUT that big boar stopped in the brush about 30 yards away and faced me with his head down. He was grunting in a most threating manner! I was pretty scared. I had jacked a second round into the chamber after my shot and I just stood there with my rifle at my shouler. I did not have a clear shot as the boar was behind some heavey brush. We both stood there for about 2 minutes. He then turned and joined his harem, grunting all the way. I was shaking but I can't help wondering if my killer instinct would have taken over if the boar charged. Would I have been cool and made a good shot when the pressure was on?
I walked bag to my Van and got my dragging sled. When I got back to my kill, the boar had turned up again. I had my ruger blackhawk out and was ready but once again ran away. Scary Cool and exciting!!
Has anyone else ever been threated or charged by a hog?
okcmco
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Threated by a Boar!

When my younger son shot his first hog, it ran off into some really thick brush. It was evening and I wanted to get tohis hog as soon as I could so he could see it and enjoy the moment. Since the brush was so thick, I had to get down on my hands and knees and crawl along on a trail through the brush. I had only gone about 20 yards when I smelled a hog. I paused and considered it might be the one my son shot but as soon as that thought entered my mind, a hog began 'woofing' maybe 10-12 yards from me in the brush. Needless to say, I quickly backed out the way I had come and decided it was best to come back later! It never charged, but I couldn't see it andits 'woofing' sounded convincingly threatening. By the way, I was at least smart enough not to let my son follow me into the bush.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that .300 WinMag would have penetrated that brush and put a hurtin on that hog no problem. It is a weird feeling wondering which way a big boy is gonna go. Is he coming at me or running away? So far I've been fortunate, they have always run away.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow that would get me moving to the truck
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Threatened by a Boar!

Yes, it usually happens when hunting thick brush! If it is in the open, they usually, but not always run in the opposite direction.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM

Nice shot and story. . . I would have shot as many as I could taken home the tender ones. Never want to waste any meat but full freezer or not I never pass a chance to rid the world of a few feral pigs.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Spike

Sounds like you need to hit up one of your buddies and borrow a four wheeler, then go back for the 400 pounder!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

A friend and I were hog hunting a few month back. He got run up a tree twice by the same hog. Of course being the great friend I am I drilled that hog with a 12ga slug. And I also had a stand off with a javalina when I was about 15 years old. The javalina couldnt have weighed more that 40 lbs, but he sure thought he was 400lbs. Hogs and javalinas sure do keep it interesting.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had my run in with a sow a couple months ago,may have had something to do with my bad judgement in chasing her offspring down and catching it! Prior to that closest call with swine was the old sow(ex-wife) wanting my dog in the divorce!