Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Spanish/ Catilina Goats??? >

Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

Old 03-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

Could someone please tell me if Spanish Goats have any redeemable qualities? I let the air out one recently with my bow and slow-cooked a hind quarter on the grill. It was inedible! I literally spit it out.

In my opinion, they are obnoxious, they stink, they run all other game off, they are inedible, and they eat all my corn. Do people REALLY pay to shoot these irritating pests?

Help me understand.....
Old 03-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

Could someone please tell me if Spanish Goats have any redeemable qualities? I let the air out one recently with my bow and slow-cooked a hind quarter on the grill. It was inedible! I literally spit it out.

In my opinion, they are obnoxious, they stink, they run all other game off, they are inedible, and they eat all my corn. Do people REALLY pay to shoot these irritating pests?

Help me understand.....
Hey, different strokes for different folks!I can't keep them on the farm. I go to all auctions buying them and doubling my money. The Jamaicans, Haitians and Asians buy them all.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had pretty good luck in the past cooking cabrito. You have to get a young kid goat....the old goats that have been on grass a long time are not good.

I prepare and cook goat like I do brisket. Most important, you gotta allow plenty of time. I take one or two hindquarters of a young kid and rub it generously with bottled Italian salad dressing. Then I use a lot of Brisket Rub http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=brisketrub (HEB has it). Coat it good...it will have that dark red look. Rub it in and put in a roasting pan and stick in refrigerator overnight to marinate. I sometimes add more Italian salad dressing during the night and rub it again.

Next day I put it in the oven (in same roasting pan) on low temp. for 6-7 hours. I always set the oven temp. at 225 deg. After about7 hours the meat is basically done.....but it needs smoke!

I prepare my smoker (I have a New Braunfelsstore bought smoker that has the fire box to the right of the smoking comparment....it has a water pan and four shelves.) I transfer the meat from the big roasting pan to a shallower pan that fits in the smoker. Save the juices in roasting pan for basting later. I use mesquite wood mainly and smoke the meat (turning occasionally) and baste with juices frequently. Keep a liquid level in bottom of pan as it smokes. The amount of time here is determined by amount of heat, etc. You don't want to dry the meat out.

I have a recipe for goat sauce from the Brady cook-off one year....I'll try to find it.

I cook my brisket the same way and people tell me it's the best they've had. I don't argue with them.

Ray
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 AM

yea, my dad (rip) bought a goat and we tried the bbq thing, i thought it was nasty, thats prolly one u need to bleed out in a cooler for a day or 2, then smoke it for a long time, maybe that might help.....BUT I DOUBT IT
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Montana Dave, sent youan email (I hope I did!)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

I took two rams last March and when I tried to cook some steaks on the grill and I could not eat them. But then we put them in the crock pot all day to slow cook. They taste like beef like this, try it maybe they just needed to be slow cooked.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope they are not all that bad I am planning on taking one in 08
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

My dad shot one almost 30 years ago. Had the head mounted by a taxidermist. It STILL stinks... I've tried everything to get rid of the smell. Sprinkled it with baking soda. Sprayed it with Febreze. It still smells like pi$$... I can't even imagine eating one.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Spike

Curried goat is excellent! I've had it many times in Jamaica it's the only way I can think of to cook a goat.

Recipie's are on the internet. Just search google "curried goat".

I'd expect it would be good with venison, or any other kind of meat, too.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Cooking Recipes for Goat Meat

We marinate with this. "La lechonera Mojo Marinate" or "Kirbys Mojo Marinate". they are made from Sour Orange Juice. We use it on Wild Boar, Beef, Chicken, Fish, etc.,etc.,etc....

Quick Reply: Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.