HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spanish/ Catilina Goats???
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
rtread
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spanish/ Catilina Goats???

I've had pretty good luck in the past cooking cabrito. You have to get a young kid goat....the old goats that have been on grass a long time are not good.

I prepare and cook goat like I do brisket. Most important, you gotta allow plenty of time. I take one or two hindquarters of a young kid and rub it generously with bottled Italian salad dressing. Then I use a lot of Brisket Rub http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=brisketrub (HEB has it). Coat it good...it will have that dark red look. Rub it in and put in a roasting pan and stick in refrigerator overnight to marinate. I sometimes add more Italian salad dressing during the night and rub it again.

Next day I put it in the oven (in same roasting pan) on low temp. for 6-7 hours. I always set the oven temp. at 225 deg. After about7 hours the meat is basically done.....but it needs smoke!

I prepare my smoker (I have a New Braunfelsstore bought smoker that has the fire box to the right of the smoking comparment....it has a water pan and four shelves.) I transfer the meat from the big roasting pan to a shallower pan that fits in the smoker. Save the juices in roasting pan for basting later. I use mesquite wood mainly and smoke the meat (turning occasionally) and baste with juices frequently. Keep a liquid level in bottom of pan as it smokes. The amount of time here is determined by amount of heat, etc. You don't want to dry the meat out.

I have a recipe for goat sauce from the Brady cook-off one year....I'll try to find it.

I cook my brisket the same way and people tell me it's the best they've had. I don't argue with them.

Ray