Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

memphis TX. hunt

Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Default memphis TX. hunt

we made a trip out and met a guy from n.w. kansas to try the hogs out friday and sat.
ranger and his 9 mo. son Chewy stuck some pigs in a big plum thicket.got to em ,ranger had a good part of em 1 thicket chewy had 4 or 5 in another 10 or so yrds apart.art dropped the bull to ranger so they had it handeled ,chewys hogs broke and he took a little blonde boar out up the creek with me gimpin along behind.he got it stopped a 150 yds. and then his dad was there for help and then another dog showed up the hog broke and was gone another 100 or so they get him stopped and then rangers brother Blondie showed up ,hog caught legged and stuck,by the time my son gets there with the rhino. my brother had wound up stickin a big spotted sow in the other thicket, that was chewys first bay all by his self.went to another spot got on pigs but nothin caught but a little pig.was gettin hot so decided to come back that night .
Ranger struck at the feeder and went east but we could hear pigs out in the cotton patch so we dumpedchewy and my other pup briar in short order they had a pig bayed50 or so lbs. not bad for some rookies i thought .
next mornin we go hit the peanut patches, Tom roaded his dogs while we set inthe truck and finished coffee,the dogs could be heard bayed a few hundred out in the patch so off we go.they wound up a runnin bay for over a 1/2 mile to bay up in the mesquite right by someones house .Tom and my son got the pig stuck 150 lb sow and we got the heck out of there.by then it was gettin light so we went to another spot. loaded the dogs and wasnt gone but a couple hundred yrds ,ranger struck out in the old cotton, bout then we could see the pig runnin out headed east to a spot we couldnt hunt ,but the dogs got him bayed up in a draw.turned the bulls loose and boar caught and stuck with only 1 poke to pressure in his foreleg but we got the bleedin stopped
whitson and challacombe met up with us so we hit another spot around a large tank .had been all around it with only a little pig found.wewere settin there decidin what next and a 40 lber run out in the open right by us ,dropped my Joker dog and the race was on,heard him bayed on the other end when my bro said there was a big pig comin back to us.me and challacombe(cory) tried to head em off but Joker stopped him and caught apparently by the time my son and Whitson (lance) got there for the stick.
wore out joker with 4 pokes and 2 cuts restin.
Headed to a spot down by the river ,a 60 or so acre salt cedar thicket with open fields all around.we weaseled our way in on the wheelers and we had a bay, young pig bayed and caught by cory and lances Blazer and Razor,they stuck it and we had another bay just 30 or so away ,sent Speck to em and caught 50 or so lber .heard more dogs bayin after we got to the wheelers,all dogs accounted for but my 2 pups ,Briar and Chewy,everyone headed for em cept me.got stuck in the rhino ,had to winch out and by the time got to em out across an old cotton patch it was over.the pups run a another young 1 into a cut in the fience row and bayed till cory and lances dogs got there for the catch.ROOKIE hogdogs.
ranger was not around so we tracked him up back in the thicket.got to him to find a little pig .watered the dogs and decided it was gettin too hot.
then bad part of the hunt begins.
was out and almost back to the truck runnin on the old cotton patch when another 50 or so lber gets up from ythe fence row,idropped joker and theey went back in the thicket with Speck goin in for the catch.i was in right behind em but it was thick ,i hollared for Jake to meet me there .as i get in deeper iknew somethin was wrong ,boar scent hit me and the fight was takin place ..finaslly got to em with jake ,cory and lance tryin to cut down ahuge old boar.2 catchdogs and 4 or 5 curs .my Joker dog almost instant i got there falls out ,i grab and start checkin for cuts ,had a good 1 in the front shoulder and a poke to the jugular that was bleedin good.applyed pressure after the collars off. the big boar still wasnt down ,wedged up in the cedars,they cut the pigs ear off that speck had and almost immediatly speck fell out,femir artery cut and several holes to his left side chest.hollared for the kit and tried to get em stabbleized.they seemed to be doin good after a cc of dex and bloodstop,wound up havin to put a turniquit on speck,tried to getem cooled down and back to the truck .speck was done for in5 minutes back at the truck.got him burried.Joker seemed to be ok so i put him in the box to start loadin up.Ranger had a good rip to his front chest that needed staples but we had to ace him ,dont like no one jackin with him,smiley anothe ryoung dog had his throat ripped 3 or 4 inchs and almost gutted.got em all sewed up and loadin dogs when i noticed Slim was gone,last time she was seen was goin in with joker to the thicket,me and my son went back in and searched all we could,only 1 without a tracker on,and not a dog to stay gone .by the time we finally started the truck i went to check Joker and he was dead.
i know that if you play the game you got to pay but that 1 was hard. justa 2 year old gettin really good at the game .but he was a little gritty and the situation in that thick stuff didnt help. found where the baor made his first stand and could see y so many dogs were wrecked. only 2 1/2 in on 1 side and the other busted and jagged over 300
thta was the end of our hunt but cory ,lance and tom stayed the night .hopefully they got more pigs and nothin wrecked
Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: memphis TX. hunt

Great Pictures! My kind of Hog hunting!

Please, don't post pictures of Hurt dogs?There are to many groups in all states trying to STOPdog hoghunting!Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: memphis TX. hunt

Sad part is Reb, some are in our own ranks....