Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Questions to ask meat processors/butchers >

Questions to ask meat processors/butchers

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Questions to ask meat processors/butchers

Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Questions to ask meat processors/butchers

Hello all!

I'm new to hunting big game, and I was wondering what questions should I ask to the meat processors/butchers if I want to take my game animal to be process with them.

I will hate to sound stupid, but I just do'n know how this works...do I just show up with my kill? what if they're close?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions to ask meat processors/butchers

First, call them and get their hours of business....how late and weekends....very important to know when you can take it. Have in mind how you want it cut up....how much in steaks, roasts, stew meat, chili meat, ground meat, etc. Their rates will depend on these percentages usually. Get some kind of idea of their rates before you go in. I usually touch base with the owner or manager before I kill (I harvest crops) the deer or whatever and let them know I hope to be bringing them some business....they will usually tell you then where to take it. Somebody will come out and hoist it up and next time you see it it's in white freezer wrap.
Having said all that, I try to processmy own when I have time....sometimes not feasible. PM me if you need more info. (Try to check the locals out on the reputation of the place.....some are bad about helping themselves to your backstrap. [:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 AM

i always ask him to wash his hands first...........lol
Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 AM

my wife and I do our own.it got so exspencive that I spent the $$$$ and got a meat grinder.I cut small (steaks) fry meat from the backstrap,or madallions some people call them.then I cut madellions from a couple of the round sections from the hams.(if you bone the hams,you will see three different musceles that are good to slice for fry meat.
All the rest we grind into burger for chillie,spegittie(sp) hamburgers and anything you use hamburger for.I add about 10% beef fat to the burger.
Iorder game bags for the burger ,it goes right into the bags as I grind it.then the fry meat goes into ziplock then freezer wrap .
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM

Like others have said go talk with the butcher before you harvest your game. Ask prices, what he offers, sausage, bologna, stew meat, etc. I made friends with the butcher and he gave me tips on skinning deer and actually showed me how he does it. I figured since he skins 200+ a year he knows more about it then I do. I normally just get the back straps butter fly cut and the rest ground.I know I will use all of the meat doing it this way, but that's just me. If I've had the breakfast sausage from the butcher I may get 4-6 pounds of that made. Problem with not doing it yourself is knowing that if you shoot a young tender deer that you actuallyget your meat back. I paid to get one butchered last year then the next two I cut the meat off and just had the butcher gind it. I made my own sausage patties. I bought a meat grinder for Christmas so I'll do my own from now on. This way I can grind the meat when I am ready and not have to wait on the butcher.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Thank you great tips!