Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Get References on Meat processors! >

Get References on Meat processors!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Get References on Meat processors!

Old 11-27-2002, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Get References on Meat processors!

My husband harvested a 11 point buck a few weeks ago. We took it to a new meat processor that we had never used before, the reason we took it there is that the other processor we wanted to use and had used before with great results was closed and it was to hot that day to hang it and we didnt have time to butcher it ourselves I had to go to work, and we needed to get it in a cooler. When we dropped the deer off on saturday we ordered the asst variety of sausages etc and opted to pay the extra to have the folks cap it also we would of been paying a total of $138.00 in all, we were then told the cap would be ready to pick up early the following week. We were happy to here this because we told them that we wanted to get the cap to the taxidermist before the gun season hit because our taxidermist works on a first come first serve basis. We called the following week and were told the cap was not ready yet but to check back in a couple of days, so we called back and were told that something came up and to call back again. So I called back and was told that the cap was not ready and that somethings had come up and they would call us when it was ready. So friday evening of gun season they called and told my husband that the cap would be ready for my husband to pick up the next morning at 9:00am. Well the hubby drove the 35 or so miles to pick it up sat am and when he got there the gentleman sees him pull up and jumps out of the semi trailer he had 30 or so deer hanging in it all with the heads and some also with caps removed and hurrys to close the door on the trailor like he dosent want my husband to see all the gun deer that he had capped and proceeds to tell my husband that it wasnt ready and the fellow told him that something had come up and he would call us when it was ready. Well by now we are really not happy, and starting to really not trust this meat processor.Oh heck we were starting to get really p off. Well after they had had the deer for 19 days I decided to call them, I was answered by the man not with a hello or etc but I was told " Look I told your husband I would call when it was ready"I was talked down to,we were called not nice names, lied to, cussed at and treated just flat out rudly, I kept my cool and tried to talk to the gentleman reasonably and politly until I couldnt take it anymore and I told the man that we were coming to pick up my husbands deer and to cancel our order, I was told that he wasnt going to stop what he was doing to go and dig out his deer, so I asked the man do I need to bring the police out with me and he told me to knock myself out ( with a few cus words added in). At this point I did lose my cool and I told the man that we were coming out right now to get the hubbys deer and we are bringing the police, and yes I guess I sunk to his level because I cused at him but I am not proud of it.We did have the police go with us and we did get the deer back plus a refund of the deposit we paid for the processing. All we wanted was the deer capped in a resonable amount of time, and this guy couldnt do it in 19 days , heck I could of done it in half an hour myself if I had had the time, and I would of had we known this was going to happen. So we both learned a good lesson, we will never take a deer to a processor without previous reckomendations, and get the deal in writting. So use caution and check into a processor before you take your hard worked for deer to them.I wish we had.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Get References on Meat processors!

That's one of the reasons I do all my own butchering. I know their are many good ones out their, but It gets expensive to have someone do more than one deer a year, and I know what kind of job I will do.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-27-2002, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I do my own butchering to. However, the 8 point I shot earlier in the year I gave to the lady that cleans our house every couple weeks. I went with her to a processor. He said he'd save the horns for us. It took them over 2 weeks to get the deer processed. They lost the horns and when the people got home and checked the contents of their package the backstraps were not in there. Exactly why I do my own.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:02 AM

I've had similar experiences with processors cutting up a couple of hogs for us. They took 3 weeks and when it was done, we got back about 75% of what we should have. If you have the capacity to do it, you are much better off butchering your own. Then if you want some of the meat ground up for sausage or hamburger, take only that portion to them. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats alot of money also . If I was paying that much I think I would want to be treated like royalty . We did our own butchering for the first time this year , it came out great and we know whats in it .We also have a quality butcher where I live ,I've never herd of a butcher treating someone like that . Time to take your business elsewhere .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 11-27-2002, 07:12 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Lady Forge,

I'm sorry to hear you and your husband got hosed like that. There's no excuse for it what so ever.

It sounded like the only reason you took it to a processor was that you didn't have the time to butcher it then, and it was warm outside. If I may, I'd like to offer a tip for hanging deer on hot days...

When field dressing, do not split the breast bone. Hang the deer by it's hind legs, like you normally would, with them spread apart about a foot or so. Stuff bags of ice in the chest cavity and stack them all the way up to the hind legs. Tie in as needed. Wrap the animal and ice in a tarp, leaving it open at the top and bottom for heat to excape.

I've hung deer like this for almost 2 days in 80+ degree temps in my garage and never had a problem.

JRW
Old 11-27-2002, 08:25 AM
nub

Sounds like you happened to pick a bad one. I also think you should post the name of this place to keep other members from a bad experience.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:46 AM

Yeah, that would have pissed me off to.I do all the butchering myself.
Like 5 shot said it gets expensive when you shoot a few.My father and I average around eight or so a year.This brings up a good point and here is why I prefer to do it myself.I'm afraid of all the diseases out their and I know if I do it then it's my blood on the meat if I cut myself.I've dropped deer off before if I'm giving it away and let them pick it up.My father dropped some meat off to a shop and wanted bologna made well around a month later he called and the guy lost the meat(gave it to someone else duh!!) but he would take care of it and did.Now we go to Miller Meats in PA. and we are very satisfied with the sausage etc. we get made.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Hey lady, sorry to hear of your bad luck. Did this place start with the letter L and end in ING????

Old 11-27-2002, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill Buck ; You are correct in the name. I just got back from dropping the cape off at the taxidermist and He told me that he has heard alot of complaints regarding this processor from people this year. Its kinda of funny that a huge racked buck that I had seen at the processors the day we brought my husbands buck to them was already at the taxidermists when I showed up there today, this buck was brought into the processors the same day that we took the hubbys deer there, yet this one was already at the taxidermist being worked on.

Quick Reply: Get References on Meat processors!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.