Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Best placement for an arrow? >

Best placement for an arrow?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Best placement for an arrow?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Best placement for an arrow?

I use mechanical broadheads and dont really like fixed blade because i have flight problems around 30 yards. Would the ideal shot placement still be a quartered vital shot or would I have better luck with a neck shot? Or should I just use a fixed blade broadhead?
Any fixed blade recomendations?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best placement for an arrow?

I was a die hard mech user but I gave up on them. 2 deer this year with less than desirable penetration. Lost them needless to say.
I tried Muzzy 4 bladers because thats what my friends use, anyway they flie perfect without adjusting one thing. field points mech and the 4 blade Muzzy are flying exactly the same, maybe I just have my bow tuned right. I did some tests on a broad head target and the muzzy's penetrate a lot more than the mechanicals. I will be using them next year. I would recomend fixed blades for hogs for sure, and still take the quartering away shot, heart and lungs lie low on hogs, remember that.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any fixed blade recomendations?
You might want to consider Slick Trick broadheads .... http://www.slicktrick.net/
I use them and like what they are doing to the mule deer I've shot in New Mexico. I've never used them on hogs but will soon. I have read and heard lots of good things about hog hunting with Slick Tricks.
Besides the damage done to the animal, you don't see any difference in the way they fly from field points.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Or try these!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:28 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the Slick Tricks, the Magnus Stinger is a good head as well but if already having flight problems that head will likely magnify it.

If you have flight problems at 30 yards you need to tune your bow to the broadheads. You should be able to get most any head to fly true to your field tips with some tweaking.

I would not recommend shooting a hog in the neck with a bow. Some may disagree and that is fine. With a mechanical head your penetration is going to decrease, couple that with an arrow that is not flying true and hitting square and you will end up with a lot of hogs running around with arrows sticking out of their necks.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive used plenty of mechanicals, and have never had a problem with them on deer, but with hogs Ive had a problem with penetration. I like a good fixed for hogs, like Muzzy three blades or sonics. Also, I like a little smaller cut radius than I do with turkey or deer. Ive take quite a few hogs with mechanicals, and have found out, you need to go for the lungs with mechanicals. If you try heart shots and get just a tad off, they will not penetrate very well.

IF you are having problems with fixed heads flying funny, you need to check your bow or arrow to see if they are tuned right. My fixed fly just like field points all the way out to 40 yards.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM

thanks for all the help. Im getting my tonsils out tomorrow so im about to take my bow in to get it tuned while im out of commission.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Change to a fixed blade and shoot low and forward. Neck shot islow percentageand a big boar's shield can stop a mechanical broadhead on impact with almost no penetration.Semper Fi
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Forget the mechanicals when it comes to hunting hogs.

Get that bow tuned first of all.

Poor arrow flight equates to poor shot placement, poor penetration, and lost game. If your arrow is reacting unpredictably at thirty yards, it is doing the same thing at 20. You may be hitting relatively close to where you aim, but the arrow wants to do something else.

Mechanical broadheads are not the fix to a poorly tuned bow.

Spend the necessary time to tune your rig and pick a fixed blade broadhead to hunt with.