Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Moon phases and hog hunting >

Moon phases and hog hunting

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Moon phases and hog hunting

Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moon phases and hog hunting

ORIGINAL: B.B.A.

The hogs in sweden are often very shy, I have shot most of my pigs during halfmoon...
BBA, what you shooting hogswith in Sweden?

For Deer and Moose I use Ruger M77 6.5mmSwede and 156gr Norma ORYX"Alaska" ammo. For hogs, I ran dogs for over 45yrs and used hand guns, but since 2000 I use Moss 835 ComboandWinchester BRIsabots.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hogs in sweden are often very shy, I have shot most of my pigs during halfmoon...
Welcome to the forum B.B.A.! Interesting about the hogs in Sweden. I was in Sweden many moons ago (pardon the pun) but I saw no hogs....plenty of lovely young ladies, though. Let us know more about your hunting over there. Ray
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hi again!

In the last 10-20 years the hogs have increased fast, especially in the south of Sweden. The most common hunting-methods are night hunting in a stand/shelter often with some sort of bait (corn, peas, bread or other cereal grains). We also do so called “driven hunts” with one or several dogs, We use different breeds such as German hunting terrier (jagdterrier), wachtel and some of our Swedish moosehound-species as well. Not all Swedish moosehounds are adequate because the hog-dogs need braveness and courage. We do use different cross-breeds, often Swedish moose-hound/ wachtel.

These are the 3 weapons I use for boar-hunting:

1.Browning 30-06 model European and Norma 180gr Vulcan ammo topped with a Zeiss victory 6-24x56 illuminated. (I also use this rifle for fox, badger, deer and roedeer)

2.Husqvarna 9,3x62 model 1640 and Norma 285gr Oryx ammo topped with a Leupold VX-III 2,5-10x50 illuminated (I also use this rifle for moose and larger deer and hopefully Bear to)

3.Then I also have a cal 12 Remington 870 synthetic super magnum with fully rifled cantilever barrel and sellier & bellot special slug 32 grams ammo (don’t know how much it is in gr). I intend to top it with either a trijicon or a aimpoint for those “driven hunts”

I have 2 hunting dogs, one Jagdterrier and one true bastard, a cross-breed between terrier/ Swedish moosehound and some other hunting-dog . Now tell me about your hunting technics and dogs….

Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi again!

In the last 10-20 years the hogs have increased fast, especially in the south of Sweden. The most common hunting-methods are night hunting in a stand/shelter often with some sort of bait (corn, peas, bread or other cereal grains). We also do so called “driven hunts” with one or several dogs, We use different breeds such as German hunting terrier (jagdterrier), wachtel and some of our Swedish moosehound-species as well. Not all Swedish moosehounds are adequate because the hog-dogs need braveness and courage. We do use different cross-breeds, often Swedish moose-hound/ wachtel.

These are the 3 weapons I use for boar-hunting:

1.Browning 30-06 model European and Norma 180gr Vulcan ammo topped with a Zeiss victory 6-24x56 illuminated. (I also use this rifle for fox, badger, deer and roedeer)

2.Husqvarna 9,3x62 model 1640 and Norma 285gr Oryx ammo topped with a Leupold VX-III 2,5-10x50 illuminated (I also use this rifle for moose and larger deer and hopefully Bear to)

3.Then I also have a cal 12 Remington 870 synthetic super magnum with fully rifled cantilever barrel and sellier & bellot special slug 32 grams ammo (don’t know how much it is in gr). I intend to top it with either a trijicon or a aimpoint for those “driven hunts”

I have 2 hunting dogs, one Jagdterrier and one true bastard, a cross-breed between terrier/ Swedish moosehound and some other hunting-dog . Now tell me about your hunting technics and dogs….
Whew! You and Rebel Hog are vastly more experienced at hog hunting than I. Actually, my only experience was accidental but I sure learned a lot from it. Years ago I was deer hunting in South Texas and came upon a large boar wallowing in a dirt tank (pond). I shot it with my deer rifle and it died right there. I waded out to drag it to shore and the gummy soured mud was not going to let me accomplish that. I struggled with it for a good while with no luck but I was covered with stink and slime. My uncle drove up in hispick-upand when he got through laughing at me, we hooked his truck to the hog and pulled it out. After skinning and quartering the hog, I had had enough of it. That was many years ago. I am now ready to go at it again, but a little differently.
I have booked a hunt at http://www.dbhogranch.com/which is not far from where I live. I will hunt with my bow.....a Mathews Switchback XT and have a handgun (Ruger BlackHawk .357 magnum)as a back-up.
Thanks for your interest in the forum! Ray