Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk hunting/moon phases

Old 01-15-2003, 07:28 PM

Default Elk hunting/moon phases

Going Elk hunting this fall with a bow. I will have ten days to hunt gonna hunt in SE Wyoming. Is it better to hunt before or after the full moon? I'm thinkin after but I don't know jack about elk. Any help or sugestions would be greatly apreciated.thanx Don
Old 01-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting/moon phases

That's an excellent question that you ask. Moon phases can play a part in an elks activity and it's vocalness. I've noticed over the years that about six days after the full moon the vocalness of the bulls picks up considerably. I understand that you can't plan your hunt around weather changes but personally I put more stock in weather changes rather than the moon phases. But I say regardless of moon or weather you can still get in contact with the elk with certain types of bugles or cow calling. Even when elk aren't vocal you can find interest with certain calls that can bring them in. Such as a lost cow call which can really get an elks attention when nothing else is working. So if the moon phases don't pan out don't feel that all is lost. Enjoy your out of state hunt.
elknut1

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting/moon phases

I went to a seminar put on by Primos last year and they talked about the moon and elk. The moon does not effect timing of the rut which means hormones do not change with the moon phases. They will however do more activity at night and a little less during the day and you will hear less bugles during the day. But as I said above the hormones do not change and they are still pumped up during the rut and will still respond. Just try a hot cow call and that should get a bull or two runnin after you. Weather changes habits more than anything.