Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

what is the fine for

Old 02-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Default RE: what is the fine for

ORIGINAL: JeffS

fence and good hot wire keeps them in
They will go right through if they want out or in. I've seen them run straight through 5 strand barb wire fences like they are not there. They put their nose under the bottom wire and just run through them. If the wire is too tight for them to go under I've seen them break them. Also we grow watermelons and have a hot wire around them and they will just squeal and go right on through it. On our traps we've had them break more than 17 welds on cattle panels and escape. You might keep them in for awhile but if the decide they don't want to be there they will find a way out.
we use a gallagher 800 hot bow its over 7000 volts going through high tensile wire that get popped a time or 2 buy it and they dont mess with it anymore we had a stupid hog one time just kept getting in it over and over it finally killed him he was about 150 175 #s
Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: gahoghntr

ORIGINAL: mez

Isn't it possible to have several hundred acres of your own land and place 20 sows and 5 boars on it in hopes of letting them free range there until you gather them up for slaughter?
No way. 25 hogs would be off of several hundred acres the first night. Fence won't keep them there, they will root under it. You turn 25 loose you will not gather all of them back up as you say.

Likely it is illegal to do unless you have permits from the state. You aren't going to get it for hogs.
demestic hogs will back up from the hot wire.

wild hogs Especially those that are a couple years old will just squeal and go through it.around my neck of the woods, anywhere there are wild hogs close the farmers don't even try to plant melons ,corn , or peanuts.they just can't keep them out.
hogwire with electric on top and bottom doesn't help.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

ORIGINAL: gahoghntr

ORIGINAL: mez

Isn't it possible to have several hundred acres of your own land and place 20 sows and 5 boars on it in hopes of letting them free range there until you gather them up for slaughter?
No way. 25 hogs would be off of several hundred acres the first night. Fence won't keep them there, they will root under it. You turn 25 loose you will not gather all of them back up as you say.

Likely it is illegal to do unless you have permits from the state. You aren't going to get it for hogs.
demestic hogs will back up from the hot wire.

wild hogs Especially those that are a couple years old will just squeal and go through it.around my neck of the woods, anywhere there are wild hogs close the farmers don't even try to plant melons ,corn , or peanuts.they just can't keep them out.
hogwire with electric on top and bottom doesn't help.
i was not talking about domestic hogs wild hogs are very smart and yes if they are running they will go rite through it but if they are just rooting around and get poped a time or two they will back up also i have seen them just standing there about a foot away from the wire. I am not argueing but i know first hand if they are being pushed or running they will. but not being pushed they wont we have alot of big hogs that are kept in place with hot wire.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, if they are not pushed or there is nothing they want ahot wire will stop them. However if there is somewhere they want to go you will not stop them.