Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Pronghorn question

Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pronghorn question

I am interested in going on a pronghorn hunt. Which state do yall think is best to hunt this antelope in? Do I need to apply for a license, or is there anywhere I can get an over the counter license?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Pronghorn question

You can choose from several states. Wyoming and Montana have alot of prairie goats to choose from. New Mexico seems to have the bigger heads if horn size isof importanceto you.
I've only hunted Montana for them and found the state to be well populated by antelope. You can book a three day or one week trip. If a quality goat is your goal, make sure you try to get the first week of antelope rifle season on your tag. They get real spooky as the weeks roll on and guys keep shooting at them.
If you're ok with shooting far, any week will work, but the best heads have been culled already. Lots of folks out west seem to stop the truck, grab their rifle and shoot at the antelope they see in the prairies. Makes 'em real spooky. Early season is your best bet for making choices and lots of stalks.
I used a .270 and shot mine at 310 yards after crawling on my belly for 75 yards! I was on a combo hunt(deer & antelope) so I was there later in the season(Oct).
Practice your shooting from prone with a bipod and sitting with a pod. It'll help you when the long shot comes.
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pronghorn question

Texas has no real public land or over the counter tags but private land goats are available!Look around the Marfa area! There's alot of goats and success is great...it's guided hunts and not cheap but competion from others is zero!There is some public draw tags but chances of drawing is slim and none..4000 applicants for 4-6 tags.The guided hunts may range from 2 grand and up or I would think about it,New Mexico has some decent public land just got to put in for a drawing and specific area.Guides have somelandowner tags I believe. Fun animal to hunt!