Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pronghorn

Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Pronghorn

Has anyone here hunted Pronghorn? Thinking about doing it in 2006. What outfitter did you use or did you use one? Best time to go? How expensive? Good experience or bad?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Pronghorn

i have hunted antelope twice both times took a total of 7 hours.[8D] they are not hard to hunt, just get some practice with your gun and be ready to shoot 300-400 yards. u don't need a outfitter or guide! there is pletty of members on here that would help u find a lonely old goat! just what state are u looking at?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:54 AM

As you can tell by mt name, I would like to bowhunt for them. I don't know what state.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:31 PM

I have not... yet. I did buy the OTC archery only tag for MT which lets you bowhunt most of the state. The tag cost about $230 if I remember right. I am planning on going in mid-september which hopefully will coincide with the rut. I would not hire a guide as any time I have been out west I have seen pronghorns. You do have to buy the OTC tag by June 1st.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I have taken several with a bow and it is a lot of fun. Probably my favorite animal to bowhunt. I lived in western South Dakota for several years and there are a ton of goats out there. The best time to hunt them is the middle of September, they are in the rut at this time and it gives you a few more hunting opitions. Most hunts will be over water holes from blinds, you can also stalk them or use a decoy during the rut. Most of the guided hunts will be between $1500-2000 and have high success rates. If you have never hunted the upper midwest and or antelope a guided hunt may be the way to go the first trip. There is a lot of public land out west and once you know the ropes you should be able to go it alone. I have a friend that runs guided hunts in western SD and can get you a contact number if interested. They do a good job and have a lot of antelope.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:37 PM

I have hunted them once using an outfitter. Table MT Outfitters (Scott and Angie Denny) who advertise on this site.
They run thier hunt out of WY, south of Gilbert near Wright.
First class operation and great people.
I'd suggest an outfitter the first time you go unless you live in goat country and can do your own scouting and gain land acess.
I live about 1000 miles from serious antelope hunting and trying to scout, find a place to hunt would cost more than an outfitter.
I hunted out of a blind over a water hole. I saw plenty of bucks, does and fawns. They are interesting to watch and a lot of fun to hunt.
Because of the open country hunters will see a lot of animals that you will not get shots at from your blind. That's one of the things that keeps your interest up. The hope they'll come your way.
It is not a slam dunk. Like all hunts there is always that chance you will not get a shot at the size animal at the range you feel comfortable to shoot.

Before you go I'd suggest going to a Cabelas store and study the mounts to give you an idea of horn and cutter size compared to the length of the goats ear.
I found from my limited experience that this was the best way to learn about the size animal I wanted and how to judge them.
Their ear is about 6 inch long. You want a horn (made up of hair or finger nail type growth) that is at least 12 inches or better. You want a nice heart shape and the area near the cutter(prong) to have mass. Four inches around or better.

Practice shooting out to 50 yards and prctice shooting from your knees.

If you go, good luck and enjoy yourself.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'm from North West South Dakota and our Antelope numbers are very high right now. Mid September is best to get the rut and hot weather to hunt water holes. We use blinds, stands, and decoys depending on weather and time of year. Tags are guaranteed and cost $195. Check out www.huntsd.net for my operation. Thanks Randy
Old 05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have hunted antelope twice both times took a total of 7 hours. they are not hard to hunt, just get some practice with your gun and be ready to shoot 300-400 yards. u don't need a outfitter or guide!
I agree. Hunting with an outfitter diminishes the hunt a great deal in my opinion.

"Here's my money. Where do I sit to shoot one?"

Hunting on your own as you did is the way to do it in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

i live in northeast wyoming, weve got tons of goats here. tags arent over the counter, but draw odds arent too bad for the area i hunt. im no guide, but if ya draw, i can give ya a hand, at least point ya in the right direction, maybe show ya some good spots. just a thought.