Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hog cleaning/preparation techniques? >

Hog cleaning/preparation techniques?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog cleaning/preparation techniques?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hog cleaning/preparation techniques?

I got some this weekend. One of them was about a 60 pounder. He didn't smell and didn't have any signs of parasites or anything, so I thought I might as well clean him andeat him. I didhim just I would do a deer (gutting, skinning, removing head and feet). I didn't quarter him or anything, just left him whole and put in the freezer.

I'll be off a little while for Thanksgiving, and I'm thinking about cooking him whole over wood coals on a barbeque pit. Anything wrong with trying to do it that way?

Any preparation tips/techniques or recipes for me?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hog cleaning/preparation techniques?

check the post down the page a bit about "Need a good hog recipe".
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM

That should work!!
Are you going to smoke the hog??Or cook it?? I mean direct or indirect....???
Better if it's a pit with the fire box off to the side. With that setup it should take 4-5 hours for that size hog at 250 - 275. Rub him dwon with a dry rub first. Then just move him around every now and then. Don't let it dry out sitting in one spot. Turn it alternatingwhat's closest to the fire. And keep a sop mopwith a pitcher filled with acouple beers and your spices mixedin itand use that tokeep the hog moist while it's cooking. That should do it. My favorite way is to smokea quarterat 250 for two hours using the sop mop and then wrap in double foil for another two. Very moist.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Either splay him and spit roast him, or pack him and put him in the ground. You might email Reb. He has a great recipie for spit roastingthem. I used it once at a camp out and it was very good. It would be great for a hog that size.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

NT, go to that Hog recipe post..Chinese Box is the way to go..good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Need a good Hog recipe
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ddeblance

That should work!!
Are you going to smoke the hog??Or cook it?? I mean direct or indirect....???
Better if it's a pit with the fire box off to the side. With that setup it should take 4-5 hours for that size hog at 250 - 275. Rub him dwon with a dry rub first. Then just move him around every now and then. Don't let it dry out sitting in one spot. Turn it alternatingwhat's closest to the fire. And keep a sop mopwith a pitcher filled with acouple beers and your spices mixedin itand use that tokeep the hog moist while it's cooking. That should do it. My favorite way is to smokea quarterat 250 for two hours using the sop mop and then wrap in double foil for another two. Very moist.
Very good idea!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Either splay him and spit roast him, or pack him and put him in the ground. You might email Reb. He has a great recipie for spit roastingthem. I used it once at a camp out and it was very good. It would be great for a hog that size.
What do you mean about put him in the ground? Haven't heard of that before and just courious.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what we did:

We split him down the middle, rubbed him down with a dry rub, and then stuck him in a pan with some beer and a stick of butter. We set him away from the fire and let him cook a couple hours in the foil pan. We added some more beer and some vegetables after the top half was good and brown. We let the other side brown and the vegetables cook a while (while I went hunting[8D]). I came back, took him off the grill, and he was ready to eat. The meat was nice and lean and very tender. The vegetables also had a very nice flavor, but the celery and bell peppers could have probably cooked about 30 minutes longer. We started the fire had 3pm, had the coals ready and put the hog on at 3:30, and took him off about 7pm.

Today, we pulled the rest of the pork off the bone and chopped it up. Added some bbq sauce to a bun and had bbq sandwiches. It's a good thing everybody else went to the ball game tonight, because there's only about enough left for me one more sandwich.

I'm gonna consider this one a success. Got a few new ideas I'm gonna try next time. Only thing I need now is another 60 lbs. hog.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 AM

A whole pig in the smoker is great. . .just go real slow if you want it tender and tasty. . . .as for cleaning the only things I do differewnt from whitetail is this.

1. Hose them off real well before you begin. . .removes lots of bugs and the other nasty crap they like to roll in. . . .
2. Put the whole pig or quarters into a big ice chest and keep adding ice as it melts for a couple of days. Drain the water as needed. This will help remove lots of blood and with it some pig game taste.

Quick Reply: Hog cleaning/preparation techniques?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.